• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raccoons 2 -vs- Me 0 (1 Viewer)

ilbirdwatch1

Morning Everyone! I need some help! Maybe the National Guard or NATO or even the Witness Relocation Agency! I’m battling two smart and chubby raccoons! I bought a baffle yesterday and installed it … and guess what? I turned on the back porch light and there was Mr. Raccoon chowing down on some peanut butter suet and sunflower seeds!
I placed the baffle maybe 3 feet off the ground, so I’m thinking maybe I need to raise it up tonight! I’m also debating on removing the feeders in the evening, but it seems like a lot of work. I really don’t mind them coming and eating the stuff on the ground, but I also do not want to be the guy in the neighborhood attracting raccoons. Any help ideas or suggestions would be great!
I did a search on this and came up with a few old posts, but did not want to re bump them! Sorry if this has been discussed in depth already!
Thanks again for your help!

I know how you feel, last summer I live trapped 9 plus 5 babys and let them go at a friend farm, they love to eat the corn I have for the squirrels, you might have a happy couple that will soon have babies, heres a pic of momma coon during the day her 5 little ones were in the weeds hiding.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 81
During the day!?! I was under the impression that if you see an adult raccoon wandering about during the day, they might have rabies. Sometimes the babies might do it out of inexperience, but adults shouldn't be out during the day.

I've learned that these critters, when there are mouths to feed, will come out during the daytime to find anything and everything to feed their young 'uns.

I see your concern though Joe cause we've had a problem in the past with rabid opossums out in the daylight hours.

Those little bandits have taken my peanut feeders and hauled them off into the woods for the last three days. I have found the feeders a hundred feet away all bent and twisted. Got to find a good way to deter them. Hope the pvc baffles work.

I'm affraid to say, it seems once a raccoon gets its paws on the prize, there is no way to deter them from doing it again. Once they get to taste the prize, they will try and try until they get to it again. They are worse then squirrels when it comes to trying to deter them, because they are bigger, have useful thumbs, and are just as smart, if not smarter.

I don't know if this will help, But i had Cages made to fit my feeders in to keep squirrels and larger birds off them, Giving the smaller ones a chance the cages have large enough mesh to allow smaller birds in, The bigger birds still feed on the Ground feeders so they're all Happy..

I'm afraid to say, it seems once a raccoon gets its paws on the prize, there is no way to deter them from doing it again. Once they get to taste the prize, they will try and try until they get to it again. They are worse then squirrels when it comes to trying to deter them, because they are bigger, have useful thumbs, and are just as smart, if not smarter.

That is pretty well true. I tried everything and they would find a way around it. The only thing I found which totally defeated them was a Dudley Flipper with a 18 inch piece of 2 1/2 or 3" pvc pipe sitting on top of it on the pole. I have pictures of a BIG raccoon trying to get by that with his girl friend standing by for the prize, but ultimately was unsuccessful. The flipper without the pcv was effective against all but the biggest raccoon which took about 3 months to figure out how to get around it.

Marshall

Just a thought but as mammals can't handle pepper and the birds can have you tried using hot pepper suet and cayenne pepper in the seed feeders?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back