• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow problems (1 Viewer)

stavrouchris

Dear all
The next box I put up last year for Great Tit was constantly harassed by Sparrows until the tits abandoned the nest. When I opened the box to clear it I found dead chicks. I see the sparrows are doing it again this year.
Any suggestions on how to keep the Sparrows away?

Dear all
The next box I put up last year for Great Tit was constantly harassed by Sparrows until the tits abandoned the nest. When I opened the box to clear it I found dead chicks. I see the sparrows are doing it again this year.
Any suggestions on how to keep the Sparrows away?

Put more boxes up.

you think so?

25 or 28mm hole boxes will allow blue tits and coal tits to nest in the box , but not house sparrows or great tits. would be a shame to exclude the great tits, but that can't really be helped as they're about the same size as the sparrows.
you can make the hole smaller without buying a new box by putting a nest box plate around the hole, ( http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p/Nestboxes/Nest_box_plates.htm ) that is smaller than the actual hole. this will also prevent predators like squirrels and magpies from getting in and killing young.

I hate to say it, but that is the nature of the house sparrow. Putting up more boxes will most likey allow more places for house sparrows to nest. Mother nature can be a brutal thing, and in your case, because the house sparrow is native there, you can't do anything about it.

The things is though, that the sparrows can't get in because the hole is too small.
But they just keep pestering the tits, poking their heads in the hole and generally not letting them get near.

They are known to do that. I don't know if it's because they are looking to take out their frustrations because they can't use the house, or if they just like to pester other birds. I've notced that they do that, but they don't seem to pester birds that don't nest in birdhouses.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back