• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (1 Viewer)

Getting bored with Avocets now, although Im told you can never get enought practice at somthing... Luckily, Mikes Terns from last weekend, were still about on their favorite Post, so my first go at a new shape.....
DSCN1281.JPG DSCN1282.JPG
and a snoozing shoveller to finish with....
DSCN1280.JPG

Reviewing may last few watercolour sketches, Im thinking that Im using way to much lead on the paper, Comparing this against other sketchers on this forum...Should I be using the colour to shade instead of the graphite ?
Some might call this a personal style, but Im thinking I've wandered off onto another path here....

Your thoughts please people..

Very nice drawings Andrew - I like the shovler a lot. Don't worry too much about the amount of pencil - it's good to see you mounding the form with the darks. Just perhaps a bit of planning - if you think you'll be using a splash of watercolour, then you can leave areas of the drawing 'undrawn', so to speak - get the colour on and you can always draw back ino the picture with you pencil if you need the added weight.

There are no rules to follow, if you feel that you're doing something wrong, try and do it a different way, you'll go down many different paths and learn many a trick this way. If you like the new results, stick with them, if not change again.

A quick go at the advice from my two learned colleagues above, colour the shading without so much graphite......
Sketched from photos, but on screen as slide show, so fast sketching to achieve some lines, then colour added to shade as best i can remember....

DSCN1284.JPG DSCN1285.JPG

A bit more practice and then move back out to the open field for real time attempts........

yes, these are getting even further along - they're lessy scribbly - cleaner lines give a bolder, stronger shape. Colours on the pheasant - perfectly observed and the middle avocet on the second sheet is what you're aiming for I think - very pleasing work!

Ooh yes, super stuff! The coy-looking avocet on the first page would make a lovely full piece, and your familiarity with them is really starting to pay off here.

Another baking Hot day, with only a few targets to acquire........so a few simple sketches of the Avos again......

DSCN1288.JPG DSCN1289.JPG DSCN1290.JPG DSCN1291.JPG

Been mulling the idea of having proper sketching / watercolour evening classes, found one which i may go for, covers a whole host of topics and projects, including the usual still life, farm animals etc etc, but also the seascapes / landscapes which Im keen to get into as well...Hoping to start in the next few weeks after I come back off my hols, so dont be too dissapointed if I start venturing into new areas......

Last edited:
Just been taking some time out in the hot weather to enjoy a small park near my office....
DSCN1298.JPG DSCN1299.JPG DSCN1300.JPG

If I have to critique my work, Ive gone tooo graphic again and everthing has gone modula and solid in shape..... Landscape is still something i want to get into

Don't know how I missed these Andrew

That last page of Avo's is great

Maybe too graghic, a sharp pencil might help with the heavy lines.

I think you're really getting these avocets - lovely drawings. The landscapes have a story-book quality which I really like - maybe not what you were after but lovely all the same.

I spent the morning in today, raining to hard to go out, yet full sun by 1000 Hrs, typical !! So spent a little while playing with a few colour sketches from photographs to keep the pressure up and mind ticking over

DSCN1303.JPG DSCN1304.JPG DSCN1305.JPG DSCN1306.JPG
Im going off on our Holidays at the end of next week, so dont be worried if it all goes quiet here

And back in the room, just been catching up on all the various threads......very impressive.
Just thought Id post a few of the Landscapes that I managed to do whilst away on my Hols....Not alot done, but also managed to get some wildlife done in the form of Rooks, Magpies, Sheep and a Llama called Chico...

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

and a few more........

6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg
The last two were done on the rocks on a windy day, quite difficult to juggle the pad, pencil in my mouth, and splash some colour into it.......glad when i finished and got behind a solid rock for shelter.....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back