• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (2 Viewers)

It seems that my scribbles and sketches are careering towards landscapes as well as wildlife, So Ive created a cheap website to encompass all that I do, most of which you will already have seen. Feel free to revisit as often as you want to, and comment, either in the Guestbook, or on individual scribbles.....

http://cid-ea81f588f44886db.spaces.live.com/

there's a real nice flow of lines in number 54 - nice curves and rhythms that draw the eye into the picture.

Thanx guys, I didnt want to publish my landscapes onto a 'Wildlife Art' thread too much incase the thought police banished me. Ill still try and keep my hand in with wildlife where I can, and under Mikes tutorage and direction, I hope I can improve on things all round...
Truth is, after a wet n windy day out, with bugger all on the radar, we both settles for a landscape scribble, It took a bit of prompting from the ole master to get me to do somthing......But have to confess that although it wasnt my best, I had that 'feel good' feel afterwards......

As the result of having to take a day off work for ECG and Doc's apointment, I managed to clear aload of 2007 photos off the Hard Drive, and came across this little field mouse... On holiday, sitting on the doorstep with the camera, waiting for the birds to start feeding from the things Id put out for them, this little fella appeared from between the rocks in the wall and started feeding from the seed....
Thought id try and do a little somthing else wildlife for a change, not too bad for my first mouse...?
cornish mouse.jpg

Now then Andrew - you might really be onto something with this. Great character, simply done - would really be worth doing a few like this, methinks

Tim, what makes this different in your eyes...Theres no detailed shading in this, just fast lines and a stroke of colour.....?

Well, I think this could easily morph into Children's Book Illustration. There's a jaunty stylised feel and a nice clean watercolour approach to the work that really appeals to me. It may not be the direction you initially set your boat on, but the wind blows in funny directions, you know.
Very nice.

Mmmm , interesting, Well Im orf to Cornwall for a long weekend, leaving Mike to face the poss snow...
Ive gotten a few more like this one on the computer so might try a few different ideas to get the feel..

Thank You Tim

Last edited:
Difficult to explain, this piece gives off a certain energy, it demands attention. Doing things by the book is an instant no-starter, the fact that this doesn't do what artists are supposed to do (detail, shading etc) means it's above all that. I think what I'm saying makes sense, but I've had rather a lot of excellent peach wine this evening, I'll check back tomorrow for coherence.

Just a few from todays grey expedition, At least there no snow any more, but still the cold wind....
DSCN1170.JPG
This first one, altough smaller than of late, was the first experiment with Water colour Pencils, and my latest toy...Aquapen ?...(a brush with water supply).Easy to use but trouble blending the right colour using the pencils...
DSCN1171.JPG
Not sure what happened here, lost the outline and tried to shade too much, too quickly I think
DSCN1166.JPG
This from one of the few photos I manged, the Oystercatchers are starting to get a bit territorial, and this one managed a few flypasts....quick splacsh with the watercolour pencils and new brush toy for effect, although little detail...

The reason Its all gone quiet, is Ive gotten a little somthing on the blocks....Well, large paper for me, and I know its a well cliched picture, but thought Id give it a go.. Problem is that its so long between each stage, Im starting to loose interest, and worry that its already starting to go wrong....
DSCN1168.JPG
Ill persist with it for a tad longer to see where it goes...but it might meet a nasty accident in a few weeks or so.

The wigeon are great, and it's good to see you experimenting with new toys and doing a larger picture. If you do lose interest in it - don't push on with it - start something else, the interest will come back.

Another sunday of grey cloudy weather after saturdays wall to wall sunshine, and as there wasnt much moving around, another step back to basics, a few pages of sketches to try and get the basic shapes of the birds as they move about - although these ones settled and went to sleep after a while...Although, the bottom of the second page, I ran out of room trying to put the two birds together, (Planning and preperation prevents...........)

DSCN1176.JPG DSCN1177.JPG

The large KF picture has gone on hold to prevent me from really screwing it up, Ill probably revisit it as a practice run for another later on.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back