• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (4 Viewers)

Defnite improvement in these drawings Andrew - some very attractive shapes happening here. The birds look nicely rounded and have a solidity to them - good work.

Planning? Thbbt! My lines always run all over one another.

Looking great, Andrew -- it's obvious you're paying close attention to how the markings of the bird distort with posture and relative position.

Field Sketches from yet another grey weekend.....
DSCN1180.JPG DSCN1181.JPG DSCN1182.JPG

Did manage to get some grey dodgy photos of a Wren, so there might be a few of those to follow, depends how brave I feel...

Well, I wasnt brave enought to attempt the Wren, but inspired by Tims recent seascapes, and a need for me to nail some landscapes of my own, This week, Ive been mostly attempting somthing in the dull evening light......Not quite how I wanted it to finish, but nevertheless, a Landscape of sorts.....

DSCN1186.JPG

My adviser commented that it looks cubist......I never intended that result, must be a happy accident....

Last edited:
Well, at least the weather has improved a bit, Sunshine at last, but still cold and windy.....Managed a page of sleeping Subjects....Hopefully the spring will liven things up a bit more, and bring a variety of subjects to sketch...
DSCN1195.JPG DSCN1196.JPG DSCN1197.JPG DSCN1199.JPG

Sketched from a rather fuzzy photo of a flock of Dunlin (posted on gallery) which i took this past weekend....
DSCN1202.JPG DSCN1203.JPG
looking at the original photo, it just seems a mass of eyes and beaks which stands out above the flurry of wings...

some more great stuff here, the landscape is superbly interesting - and the studies of the sleeping ducks show intent observation paying off.

Now, be brave and do this wren, their bark is worse than their bite you know!

Well at least we had the sunshine, but still only getting the sleepng ones......this time because thats all there was.
DSCN1204.JPG DSCN1205.JPG
(the second one is slightly out of proportion in the beak department.....)
I have decided to subscribe to a high street magazine for one year and undertake some of the exercises within, this month is all about Tonal values, although I dont think Nick will have any competition from me with his blackbirds etc etc.....

At last, some sunshine....
DSCN1206.JPG DSCN1207.JPG DSCN1208.JPG DSCN1209.JPG
The first and last were again easy targets asleep, Avocetes and Tufties, the second was a quick sketch style without becomming a field drawing.....The third one has proportion issues (supposed to be an Oyster Catcher).

And at last Ive finished my first Sketch book, taken just over the year, which seems a long time, but as Im only doing bits on weekends, and even then having to fight the demons and overcome phobias about 'gettin it out in public' . But looking back to my first attempt, I think ive done reasonably well.....so Im mildly Pleased....B :)

I'll join you in raising a glass to the first sketchbook completed - and drink to the second one being started. You've done well indeed, and pushing yourself that little bit further each time you sketch has paid off, some of these last ones are delightful in the tone work and show increased familiarity with the subjects and your art materials. Now, onto the second sketchbook, and a little tip, as soon as you buy it, scribble all over the first page, doodle, draw stick figures, whatever, just ruin the first page. I always find a new sketchbook terrifying, I want it to be the best thing ever from the first page, and so you end up waiting forever to start it, just looking for that perfect sketch to come along.

Well done Andrew - sketchbooks are for looking through, for sparking inspiration for more considered work and, of course, by looking through them, there's a very real sense of progress, in time and in skill.

Congrats, Andrew! It's been wonderful watching your progress, and having those old sketchbooks around allows you to not only reminisce about a day in the field as you flip through them, but also to see how far you've come (a particularly good motivational tool on those days when nothing seems to turn out right). Keep at it!

Thanks all, but most of all - Thanks Mike, for urging me to fill the first page and 'jump the fence of fear'.
My problems now are that my field sketches fast become Field drawings, and I have to step back again and learn the sketch bit again, maybe with a time limit to allow me to speed up and get those important first lines down onto paper....
Ive still got a long way to go, ad i certainly wont get rich with my scribbles, but although Im limited to weekend outings, I am enjoying what Ive done so far.....

Thank you all, a bit of a low profile one this year, Working with a grumpy head on for most of the day, but had a meal out with the beloved afterwards.........

In a vain attempt to break into the new Sketchpad, I decided to sit down and have a go at some photos of swans............

DSCN1215.JPG DSCN1216.JPG DSCN1217.JPG,

As Nick has pointed out, It really is a mental barrier to break into a new Pad, and think you can maintain a standard following on from the last....

great movement there andrew, looks like you have taken the new pads virginity in a big way...really capturing the essence of the swan... Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back