• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Locking Pins and Non-Locking Eyepieces (1 Viewer)

CloseFocus

I don't know if this issue has been covered in a previous thread, but has anyone tried to use an older model Leica eyepiece in a Televid with the locking pin? I have a 32mmWA and am looking at a used 62mm that has a zoom eyepiece with a locking pin. I like the scope, but if I can't use my wide angle eyepiece it's a deal killer.

Yes you can

I don't know if this issue has been covered in a previous thread, but has anyone tried to use an older model Leica eyepiece in a Televid with the locking pin? I have a 32mmWA and am looking at a used 62mm that has a zoom eyepiece with a locking pin. I like the scope, but if I can't use my wide angle eyepiece it's a deal killer.

Yes, you're x 32 will fit, it just will not lock, and also the mag will be x 26. The locking pin is in the late model eyepieces and as your wide angle doesn't have one it won't be an issue - also very unlikely to fall out provided you have fitted it correctly.

Thanks. Is the pin in the eyepiece or the scope itself? If it's in the scope, do you think there could be any long term damage if I use the non-locking eyepiece (will it eventually wear down the pin?)

The pin is in the eyepiece. There is a little recess on the scope for it to fit into.
You only really need the locking pin on the zoom eyepiece as you might unwittingly undo the eyepiece when zooming. Not an issue with fixed mag. e/p

Nick

Pictures of locking pin attached. ;)

Attachments

• LeicaZoomEbay.jpg
    LeicaZoomEbay.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 140
  • LeicaZoomEbay5.jpg
    LeicaZoomEbay5.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 130
Is the reverse OK as well?

Pictures of locking pin attached. ;)

Can an eyepiece with a locking pin be used on an older body as well? Of course without locking it.

But maybe one could even drill a bit of a recess oneself?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back