• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viewing 7D raw thumbnails in CS4 (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I can view the thumbnails and open 7D raws in Bridge but I cannot view the raw thumbnails from CS4 although I can open them. I have all the latests updates for both CS4 and ACR - anyone have any ideas?

p.s. I can see 40D raw thumbnails in CS4 but not 7D ones,

Soory Roy
but bridge is part of cs4 so i dont understand .
your saying you can see them but carnt see them .
Is it when you blink ?
Joke
Rob.

Rob, If I go into CS4 and do a file open (not going into Bridge) and navigate to the folder I can see the IMG_xxxx files but not a thumbnail of the image. I have to go into Bridge to see the thumbnails.

With 40D raws I can just do a file open in CS4 (without going into Bridge) and all the raws are shown as thumbnails.

Rob, If I go into CS4 and do a file open (not going into Bridge) and navigate to the folder I can see the IMG_xxxx files but not a thumbnail of the image. I have to go into Bridge to see the thumbnails.

With 40D raws I can just do a file open in CS4 (without going into Bridge) and all the raws are shown as thumbnails.

I have the very same problem.
Regards
Colin

aH with you then.
So its not cs4 but your image browser in windows thats not showing them .
so if you go to the folder and at the top it says FILE EDDIT VIEW FAVORITS TOOLS HELP
You want view then theres a menue You want thumbnails your perhaps on details.
Rob.

so if you go to the folder and at the top it says FILE EDDIT VIEW FAVORITS TOOLS HELP
You want view then theres a menue You want thumbnails your perhaps on details.
Rob.
Not with you there Rob.
If I use explorer I cannot see even 40D raw thumbs, it is only if I go into CS and do a file open that I can see the 40S raws thumbs but not the 7D raw thumbs !!!!

Last edited:
ok go to the folder that has your raw files in .
open it .
at the very top under the folder name is FILE EDDIT VIEW FAVORITS TOOLS HELP.
CLICK VIEW
a dropdown menue apers
you want Thumbnails.
Rob.
are you on WINDOWS XP ?
i dont know if its the same on other opperating systems.

ok go to the folder that has your raw files in .
open it .
at the very top under the folder name is FILE EDDIT VIEW FAVORITS TOOLS HELP.
CLICK VIEW
a dropdown menue apers
you want Thumbnails.
Rob.
are you on WINDOWS XP ?
i dont know if its the same on other opperating systems.
Yep XP, Still do not follow you - If you click on View> thumbnails nothing happens!!!!

Could it be that the Windows XP RAW Image Viewer and Thumbnailer supports the 40D but not the 7D ?

Might be worth trying this Roy
.http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...id=314&modelid=15206&default_os=windows_vista

Go to the 1.6.0 download, does say it works with XP as well as Vista

Haven't got a clue if it works because it says not compatible with 64 bit OS so I've never tried. I can only see thumbnails for my 1D mkIII and 5D in bridge but as thats my workflow its never bothered me
Thanks Paul but I downloaded and installed that Codex version yesterday -still cannot see the 7D raws.

Hi Roy, I use CS3 so I don't know if this will work in 4. When I open file I get a search box that gives me the choice (in the bottom left corner) of using adobe dialog or OS dialog I can see more RAW files using adobe, if it is the same in 4 it might help

Gwynn

Yep XP, Still do not follow you - If you click on View> thumbnails nothing happens!!!!

Could it be that the Windows XP RAW Image Viewer and Thumbnailer supports the 40D but not the 7D ?

i use xp and can view my 7d and 40d and mk3 raws.
a bit lost now Roy.
when you click on view there are other things in that menue i.e tiles ,icons, details etc.
does it change when you click one of them ? it should .
Rob.

I find Faststone works very well for flicking through my 40D RAW files, don't know if it''ll work with 7d yet or if it's the kind of thing that might solve your problems Roy but thought I'd mention it anyway.

What he means I think Rob is that he can't see actual thumbnail pictures of his shots, not just icons. If you can then you've hacked windows or something like that. ;)

I find Faststone works very well for flicking through my 40D RAW files, don't know if it''ll work with 7d yet or if it's the kind of thing that might solve your problems Roy but thought I'd mention it anyway.

What he means I think Rob is that he can't see actual thumbnail pictures of his shots, not just icons. If you can then you've hacked windows or something like that. ;)

Hi Jaff
yes i understand what hes saying All i can think is that i have by chance got the codecs from other programes that alow me to do it .
Rob.

i use xp and can view my 7d and 40d and mk3 raws.
a bit lost now Roy.
when you click on view there are other things in that menue i.e tiles ,icons, details etc.
does it change when you click one of them ? it should .
Rob.
Yes, you can choose between Filmstrip, thumbnails, tiles, Icon etc. I have thumbnails selected but all I see a generic raw thumbnail and not a thumbnail of the image itself.

Yep that's the one I mentioned, so it does work for 7D's then. Get's my thumbs up. :t:

Well it works for me BUT again it could be that i have already got the codecs .
fingers crossed it works for Roy and anyone else who has this problem .
Rob.

Adam, I can see the raws when I download via zoom browser. When the download has finished you auto get a page of thumbnails. I then just double click on the first one and get a full screen preview which you can then flick through all the images - I use this for my initial cull. I also have Faststone but do not use it.

You are right in saying that when I go into CS4 and do a file> open> I want to be able to see a thumbnail of the image and not just a IMG-XXXX number. It works OK with 40D raws but not 7D raws (unless i go into Bridge).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back