• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Signs of spring in the yard (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

It's starting.

The drummers are drumming in the woods and on the house down the street. At least three of them.

The Chickadee is doing his springtime song.

Today I saw my first high-soaring hawk in months.

Generally the birds are talking more.

Haven't seen my resident juvenile coppers hawk for at least a week. I wonder if he's moved on?

The chipmunk who lives in the wall by the driveway is up from hibernation.

Last edited:
I noticed this very thing today myself. I was outside hanging a robin nest box and just stopped to listen to all the chirping. I can defiantly tell their songs are changing. FINALLY… I come alive in spring!

I hear the sounds, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if it isn't freakin snowing here every other day!! I am really sick of winter already!!

We had our first snow of the winter toward the end of last week. It went away in a day and we are back to steady rain (record rain some days). Well, at least things should be greening up soon.

I just had a good spirit booster that spring is near, despite the snow yet. I spotted a grackle and 3 red-winged blackbirds in my yard, who are among the 1st arrivals in spring. I like grackles, so I am quite happy!

Oh good, then I can send the couple of hundred I have here over to you ? ;)

Absolutely! Ever since I started encouraging them, I have zero june bugs, and no damage to my lawn & garden from beetles, grubs, and other insects. Besides, you can't argue that irredescent beauty, and the suave creeping walk they do.

Well they only devour my suet and seed at the rate of about 40lbs a week.

Have never seen this volume of Grackles before. Never.

Serve them up some cracked corn. It's cheap, readily available, and they love it. I keep a large trash can full of cracked corn, about 100lbs worth, just for them, and it costs me about $14 to fill up, and will last me spring through fall, the time when they are here. As for the suet, since I made my upside-down suet cage, I haven't had anything but woodpeckers, nuthatches, and chickadees.

The spring peepers are singing their chorus :) Just had to say that. I always mark the first day the peepers come out with a celebratory post.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back