• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE 8X32 (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
Nikon SE 8X32 Case Solution

If you are an owner of a Nikon SE 8X32 and are looking for a decent field case, I have a very good solution for you.

I bought a couple of
"Quantaray - London Fog Small Camera Bag, Blue/Black"
cases for our SE 8X32's and they work wonderfully.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wc...&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=13069672

Depending on your IPD, you may have to close the bins a bit to fit them in the case...my IPD setting of 57mm is perfect. My wife's setting is in the 64mm range and, though they fit snuggly at that setting, she just closes them up a bit and slides them in smoothly.

There is a VERY convenient zippered access panel on the front (the bins are not exposed when it's open). The case also has an internal zippered, mesh pocket that is perfect for storing the SE's objective lens caps when you're using the bin. There’s another mesh storage pocket behind that flap and a few slide pockets. A standard bin strap fits nicely on top of the SE when it's in the case.

I'm attaching a photo with different views of the case with/without the SE 8X32 inside.

Ooops, I just noticed there's a nice belt loop on the back along with a full-length horizontal zipper that opens to a 4X6 inch storage area. Sorry, it's not in the picture but it sure looks useful!

The case comes with a nice strap so you don't have to use your bin strap!! It came with removable dividers and I dutifully removed them. It's made of cordura, looks bombproof, and is probably very rainproof. The padding is fine, but you could easily add more to the bottom of the case, the back pocket, and the front mesh area if you wanted more protection.

For 20 bucks I thought it was a heck of a deal. I also wondered why Nikon doesn't have this kind of bag made for them with their logo on it.

John

Last edited:
Nikon SE 8X32 Eye Cups and Rainguard

Some people do not like the SE's eyecups and/or the rain guard. Here's how I dealt with those challenges.

I wear eyeglasses with AR coatings and the last thing I want to do is scratch them with my bins. If I did, I'd be buying new eyeglass lenses every month. So, I never rest the eyepiece of a bin against them...never. I do touch them once in awhile but I never use them for support. That means I need plenty of eye relief and a bin that I can steady without the assistance of my eyeglasses. The SE is perfectly suited to my needs.

The rubber eyecups are tried and true but not very adjustable. I don't care because I roll them down all the way and leave them there. What I do like about them is that when they are rolled down I can get nice and close to the eyepieces without worrying too much if I accidentally touch them. They are soft, unlike many of the hard plastic adjustable models. Most important, I get to enjoy almost a full fov with NO BLACKOUTS at all. When I first tested the SE, I set them against my eyeglasses and received blackouts galore...I refused to buy them at the time because of it. My wife, who does not wear eyeglasses, also leaves her eyecups folded down and never complains about blackouts. She's seeing that marvelous "perfect circle" view, so I know she's doing it right. She got her pair of SE's first and I used them to develop a workable solution before I bought mine.

With the rubber eyecups folded down the rain guard fits perfectly for both of us. I'm attaching a photo that shows how I attach the rain guard to my strap. You'll notice I put white tape on the rain guard openings to keep them closed! The image on the right shows what they look like when I'm using the bin. I simply pop the rain guard, put my thumbs where they belong on the bin, and the rain guard stays out of the way. Yes, there's a bit of pressure from the rain guard on my hand when the strap is around my neck but, after some adjustment, it's been no problem at all. In fact, it works so well that when I let the bin go the rain guard pops back into place on its own. My wife leaves one side unattached, so I often have to remind her to put the rain guard on!

The bottom line, based on our experience, is:

1. I think anyone could learn to use the SE 8X32 with the eyecups folded down. Yes, some light gets in the sides but you can compensate for that with a bit of hand placement. The SE is so light and handles so well it's easy to deal with. My wife is 5'4"/115 pounds and I couldn't pry the SE from her hands under any circumstances. She loves it that much.

2. The Nikon rain guard works when the eyecups are in the down position. Otherwise, forget it!

3. I believe anyone, eyeglass wearer or not, can learn to TOTALLY eliminate blackouts with the SE and enjoy effortless viewing. In the field, I don't even think about it. It's ALL about where you position your eyes and, from experience, I can tell you that if you're getting blackouts from the SE you're too close to the eyepiece. Back off, give up a bit of fov and you too can eliminate blackouts.

Hope this information helps anyone using or considering the Nikon SE 8X32.

Oh, did I mention the SE has the best view on the planet?

John

Last edited:
I also have found a solution for the objective lens caps that are not tethered on the SE 8x32. Swarovski tethered caps for the SLC 7x30 attach and fit perfectly. I assume the caps for the 7x30 and the 8x30 are the same, but I don't know for sure, as the 8x30 parts chart shows a choice of caps, or perhaps a different item number. I borrowed the caps from a 7x30 to try them out and now will order a pair to put on the SE 8x32 permanently.

Jonathan B. said:
I also have found a solution for the objective lens caps that are not tethered on the SE 8x32. Swarovski tethered caps for the SLC 7x30 attach and fit perfectly. I assume the caps for the 7x30 and the 8x30 are the same, but I don't know for sure, as the 8x30 parts chart shows a choice of caps, or perhaps a different item number. I borrowed the caps from a 7x30 to try them out and now will order a pair to put on the SE 8x32 permanently.

Jonathan,

Thanks.
The Swars, however, are expensive at 9 bucks PER CAP plus shipping. Do you know if they are hard or soft?

Eagle Optics has their own brand of tethered covers and the 32mm model works on the SE 8X32. It's not a hard plastic but it keeps the dirt and moisture out. They are 7 bucks a pair and that includes shipping.

Please let us know where you get the Swars, if they're hard plastic, and how you like them.

TIA
John

John,

Thanks for that GREAT information. My wife loves the view from her 8x32 SE as well, although she still has not mastered the "perfect circle" view. I'm sure this info will help her.

My only real complaint about the ergonomics of the SE 8x32's is that I would have liked to see all the prism house covered with rubber, since there is a metallic surface on the prims house where my thumbs and finger tips use to land when I grip my binocular.

I have been thinking of adding some kind of rubberized material with an adhesive to the metallic area closest the hinge, especially on the lower side of the prism house. Any good suggestions to where I can find a similar kind of rubberized material Nikon use as armor on their SE and (perhaps also HG) binoculars?

John Traynor said:
Jonathan,

Thanks.
The Swars, however, are expensive at 9 bucks PER CAP plus shipping. Do you know if they are hard or soft?

Eagle Optics has their own brand of tethered covers and the 32mm model works on the SE 8X32. It's not a hard plastic but it keeps the dirt and moisture out. They are 7 bucks a pair and that includes shipping.

Please let us know where you get the Swars, if they're hard plastic, and how you like them.

TIA
John

John,

If you have mounted the EO caps and they fit snugly, then they would be a much better buy. The Swaro caps are soft like the EO caps, and they hang the same way. As far as I know, the only online dealer that carries the Swaro caps as a regular stock item is Optics for Birding, which has competitive prices on everything.

JB

Eagle Optics tethered cap

Jonathan B. said:
John,

If you have mounted the EO caps and they fit snugly, then they would be a much better buy. The Swaro caps are soft like the EO caps, and they hang the same way. As far as I know, the only online dealer that carries the Swaro caps as a regular stock item is Optics for Birding, which has competitive prices on everything.

JB
JB and John,

I have the Eagle Optics tethered caps on my 8x32 SE. They fit quite snugly and are far handier than the ones supplied with the glass.
You might also consider purchasing either Eagle's rain guard or the Zeiss Classic rain guard from them. I bought the Zeiss, which is a huge improvement over the one supplied by Nikon. I use the Zeiss rain guard with the cups rolled down, but they work with the cups up. The Zeiss rain guard also stays on the strap.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
John Traynor:
"I wear eyeglasses with AR coatings and the last thing I want to do is scratch them with my bins. If I did, I'd be buying new eyeglass lenses every month. So, I never rest the eyepiece of a bin against them...never. I do touch them once in awhile but I never use them for support. That means I need plenty of eye relief and a bin that I can steady without the assistance of my eyeglasses. The SE is perfectly suited to my needs."
----------------------------------------------------

Hi John,

I used to have a problem with the AR coatings on my eye glasses scratching easily. Since I've switched to getting the Zeiss hard AR coating on my eye glasses I've had no problem with the eyecups of my binocuars touching and rubbing off the AR coating on the lenses of my glasses. The Zeiss hard AR coating is amazingly durable. It is well worth asking your eye glass maker to have the lenses coated by Zeiss.

Rich

Last edited:
Rich N said:
John Traynor:
"I wear eyeglasses with AR coatings and the last thing I want to do is scratch them with my bins. If I did, I'd be buying new eyeglass lenses every month. So, I never rest the eyepiece of a bin against them...never. I do touch them once in awhile but I never use them for support. That means I need plenty of eye relief and a bin that I can steady without the assistance of my eyeglasses. The SE is perfectly suited to my needs."
----------------------------------------------------

Hi John,

I used to have a problem with the AR coatings on my eye glasses scratching easily. Since I've switched to getting the Zeiss hard AR coating on my eye glasses I've had no problem with the eyecups of my binocuars touching and rubbing off the AR coating on the lenses of my glasses. The Zeiss hard AR coating is amazingly durable. It is well worth asking your eye glass maker to have the lenses coated by Zeiss.

Rich

Rich,

It's funny you should mention this. I asked my optician about Zeiss coatings a year ago, but they weren't overly helpful. They did, however, make a point of warning me about scratching the AR coating. Since I'm due for new glasses, I started gently putting the SE's folded rubber eyecup on my eyeglass lens to see what effect it would have. You're correct...no problems so far. I am, however, very kind to my glasses because I hate any and all distortions.

John

I also have the Zeiss AR coatings on my eyeglasses. Its not cheap, but definitely more durable than the older type coatings. BUT, be careful not to get any solvents on them. I've spotted mine up quite nicely with bug repellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back