• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (6 Viewers)

Hi all, a couple of good birds around today, the Med Gull was around near the ramp with a large group of Black Headed Gulls, a Goosander was also on the main lake. In total we had three Snipe.

Hopes this helps.

WMBB

A walk around Forge Mill today produced adult Med Gull, Goosander (f), 9 Shoveler, 4 L Grebe, 5 Snipe, 3 Gadwall, 8 L b b Gulls & approx 180 B h Gulls on the water. 2 Chiffchaff, Blackcap (m), 32 Lapwing and a large number of Hirundines in the surrounding area mainly along the river.

Cheers Hughie King.

Had a quick walk round Swan pool this afternoon.....

4 Sand Martins
1 Swallow
1 Buzzard
4 LBB Gulls
2 Cormorant (1 ringed, metal ring, right leg, couldn't read it as didnt have scope)
1 GS Woodpecker
1 Kingfisher

Swan pool this afternoon......

1 Wheatear
9 Chiffchaffs
6 Sand Martins
20 Swallows
8 House martins
3 Cormorant
10 Mute Swans
114 Coot
18 Tufted Ducks
1 LBB Gull
82 Canadas
40 Mallard
2 GC Grebes
42 Woodpigeons
2 Lapwings
1 Bullfinch
1 Grey Heron

I think this will depend on (a) what constitutes Sandwell Valley and (b) whether the list is all claimed birds or those accepted by the appropriate authority (County Recorder / BBRC).

Yeah, Phil, I was thinking more in terms of the official total.......not what others have claimed to have seen. And Sandwell Valley meaning Forge mill lake, RSPB, Swan pool, Priory woods, Hill Top, Newton field and Newton Rd crem. (not Dartmouth park or Ray Hall)

Last edited:
Hiya Steve why would you not include Ray Hall Lane? its a sewage farm & always worth a look Black & Redstart/ Ring Ousel I think & Dartmouth Park attracted Common Tern this year & It was originally the start of the old *wason* before the Sandwell Valley tag ask any old birder from the West Brom side of the Valley. The river runs the back of Charlemont and is excellent for birds including Peregrine Im sure Pete & Tim and another guy included this in their sightings. Go on to Amazon & purchase BIRDING RECORDS OF SANDWELL VALLEY these guys were true birders and gentlemen, they would not pass you by hide their binoculars and scurry past they were more than happy to share their knowledge and help you, Cheers & Happy Birding. ps its good to read reports from the Valley I was once a regular

If you look at the jpeg slightly further up this thread you will see I took the photo of the map from 'Birds of Sandwell Valley' book. Just for this query. We were debating this for the 'all dayer'. Dartmouth park is classed as part of 'The Valley'.

It would really be nice to get a complete list of the birds seen at the valley each year. Even if that's just to show which birds we missed :-C.

List total for Sandwell Valley, birds accepted by the (County Recorder / BBRC).

In a conversation I had with Lee Copplestone R.S.P.B Site Manager back in October 2012 just prier to his retirement Lee said it was 227 with the addition of Avocet in May 2013 (not yet accepted) it will be 228, Hope this helps.
Good Birding YAMYAM

In a conversation I had with Lee Copplestone R.S.P.B Site Manager back in October 2012 just prier to his retirement Lee said it was 227 with the addition of Avocet in May 2013 (not yet accepted) it will be 228, Hope this helps.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Hi Yam Yam.

Seen your totals for Warrens Hall & Sheepwash. Have you got a total for The Valley?

Cheers Hughie.

Hiya Steve why would you not include Ray Hall Lane? its a sewage farm & always worth a look Black & Redstart/ Ring Ousel I think & Dartmouth Park attracted Common Tern this year & It was originally the start of the old *wason* before the Sandwell Valley tag ask any old birder from the West Brom side of the Valley. The river runs the back of Charlemont and is excellent for birds including Peregrine Im sure Pete & Tim and another guy included this in their sightings. Go on to Amazon & purchase BIRDING RECORDS OF SANDWELL VALLEY these guys were true birders and gentlemen, they would not pass you by hide their binoculars and scurry past they were more than happy to share their knowledge and help you, Cheers & Happy Birding. ps its good to read reports from the Valley I was once a regular

I purposely left those out because when I used to watch SV regularly in the late nineties the sites which I have named were the sites that most of us used to cover. I know Tim Hextell used to check Ray Hall quite a lot, and Dave Saunders covered Dartmouth park......but the majority of birders did the main sites, which I've named. And these are still the sites that get the most coverage.
The problem is SV, as a whole, covers quite a large area stretching up to the A41, down river almost to Hamstead vaillage, the golf courses, Ray Hall, the park, and the fields between Pennyhill Lane and Newton Road.

Good Birding YAMYAM

Who would have thought though that a Leach's Petrel once graced Forge Mill lake (seen by Tim Hextell I believe), a Red Backed Shrike up on Hill Top (think that was by John Holian), and the Grey headed Wagtail on the side of Forge Mill lake.....which we all misidentified as a Black headed Wagtail to begin with :eek!: Plus the Great Snipe (which I missed, which is why I had to go to Spurn on Monday)

Who says SV doesn't get birds...|8)|

Last edited:
I purposely left those out because when I used to watch SV regularly in the late nineties the sites which I have named were the sites that most of us used to cover. I know Tim Hextell used to check Ray Hall quite a lot, and Dave Saunders covered Dartmouth park......but the majority of birders did the main sites, which I've named. And these are still the sites that get the most coverage.
The problem is SV, as a whole, covers quite a large area stretching up to the A41, down river almost to Hamstead vaillage, the golf courses, Ray Hall, the park, and the fields between Pennyhill Lane and Newton Road.

Surprised you left out Salters lane area for its now defunct flocks of Yellowhammers & Golden Plovers along with Brambling in some winters.
Adding to the scarce birds Velvet Scoters, Pec Sand, L T Duck. Temminck's Stint & Spotted Crake amongst others. All on Forge Mill lake.

Cheers Hughie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back