• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape May, early Sept., bright yellow underparts (1 Viewer)

Doc Duck

I saw so many new warblers on that trip that I lost track of what was what. We joked that we all had whiplash the one morning we watched so many moving through a thicket in the morning hours. I've managed to ID most that I got images of, but not all. This one should be identifiable, even if the angle of the shot isn't ideal. The best fit I've been able to find is Prairie Warbler. Could that be right? I can't get it to be Yellow Warbler, what with the dark markings around the eye. Blue-winged has a dark eye streak, but white undertail coverts and blue wings. I know we saw at least one Blue-winged, but that can't be this one. We also saw at least one Nashville, but they have a white ring around the eye. Nor does this fit with Kentucky or Wilson's. Maybe a young Hooded(?) - but only if those streaks on its flanks are actually shadows from twigs. Or is that bill bigger than what we see, partly hidden by the branch, and maybe this is the Orchard Oriole that was still hanging around, only I didn't think I'd gotten a shot of her in the clear, and if so, then what are those streaks on her side? Well ... that's as far as I've got.

Attachments

• bright yellow should be identifiable (3).jpg
    bright yellow should be identifiable (3).jpg
    168 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back