• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teleconverters (1 Viewer)

greenbunion

I have got a D70 and a Sigma APO 500 EX HSM F4.5 which work perfectly. However, when I try to use a Sigma 1.4x converter I lose AF. Is this normal?

Would I be better advised to try the Nikon TC-14E or the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Green Bunion

I have the same lens (with a Canon camera) and also do not get AF with the Sigma 1.4x. From what I understand this is how it is supposed to work - the converter increase the f number, reducing the light gathering this makes the AF 'hunt' too much so it is designed to turn off.
I have been told that the Kenko pro 300 1.4x converter does not 'talk' to the camera in the same way, so you will still get AF. Given the excellent light gathering of the lens I am sure that the Af could work fine with a 1.4x on it, but I've not had the chance to try the Kenko yet...

greenbunion said:
I've heard of people applying tape to one of the contacts - is this true?

GB
Heard of this also on different forums. Don't know if I'm brave enough to risk screwing up either the lens or camera.

To answer the original question, Sigma posts a list of which lenses will work with both their 1.4 and 2X TCs, and which will maintain AF.
http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_tele.asp

cheers,
jim

greenbunion said:
I've heard of people applying tape to one of the contacts - is this true?

GB

I have heard of people doing this, but have never tried it myself - not sure I'd want to mess about with such expensive kit - I think it works by stopping the camera getting info and thus tricking the AF into working.

You don't need to fool Nikon's into working with lens/teleconverter combinations more than f5.6, Canon's you do.

Sigma teleconverters are unfriendly with lots of lenses in regards to AF but the Kenko pro300 1.4x should be fine on your set-up.

That said, this combination (Sigma 500mm f4.5 + Kenko 1.4x) doesn't AF on the Nikon D2x, but the Nikon TC14-E does... so unless you know someone with the exact set-up, don't take anything for granted ;)

cheers,
Andy

Hoorah!!
The Kenko works. It "hunts" a little bit but it definitely AFs.
Haven't had chance to download a pic and check quality, but I'm happy so far.

GB

GB:
So your 4.5 500mm is maintaining AF with the Kenko 1.4 TC? Wonder if it would also work with my f4 50-500mm? The Sigma TCs are only MF for that lens. Do you perhaps have a friend with the Sigma 50-500 who could try it out? Of course, we might be talking apples and oranges here, since you are using it on a Nikon and I use Canon, but still might be worth a shot.

Cheers, and happy shooting,
jim

I'm sorry Jim, but as I'm new to this I haven't developed contacts with too many like minded souls! I have no idea if it will work or not.

I just took the plunge and bought the Kenko, half expecting to be selling it on eBay the day after I got it!

GB

GB:

That's OK ... I applaud your bravery ... maybe the best thing for me is to check with the camera stores and see what they say ... tough to find the info on Kenko websites ... at any rate the priority for me right now is getting my wife's 20D repaired ... toppled it last night after shooting some nesting barn swallows and it appears the diaphragm is buggered. Ah well.
Enjoy .. please keep me posted on how it works out for you ... and if you run into anyone with the 50-500, and the thought should cross your mind .......

cheers,
jim

jimtfoto said:
GB:
So your 4.5 500mm is maintaining AF with the Kenko 1.4 TC? Wonder if it would also work with my f4 50-500mm? The Sigma TCs are only MF for that lens. Do you perhaps have a friend with the Sigma 50-500 who could try it out? Of course, we might be talking apples and oranges here, since you are using it on a Nikon and I use Canon, but still might be worth a shot.

Cheers, and happy shooting,
jim

On a Canon 1.6 CF body, the Bigma will still AF with a cheapo Tamron or Kenko 1.4x without taping the pins (I use Tamron 1.4x on my Bigma + 20D/350D/300D). AF will hunt a little but in good light and/or contrasty subjects, it works fine.

In fact, the Bigma will even AF with a cheapo Tamron 2x TC (at f/13!) on the 350D/300D, but only on the 4 outer horizontal points. The center, top and bottom AF points can't achieve focus lock at all.

I've no luck getting AF with my Sigma 1.4x + f/5.6 or f/6.3 lenses even if I tape the pins. It just hunts endlessly without achieving focus lock.

Cheerps,

Romy

greenbunion said:
I have got a D70 and a Sigma APO 500 EX HSM F4.5 which work perfectly. However, when I try to use a Sigma 1.4x converter I lose AF. Is this normal?

Would I be better advised to try the Nikon TC-14E or the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Green Bunion

Hi:

I've read lots of folks having success with a modified Nikon 1.4. I believe you have to remove or cover a contact.

I'm getting on to and I want it to be able to work with the "d200." A real shot in the dark .

Cheers,
Craig Ryder

Romy Ocon said:
On a Canon 1.6 CF body, the Bigma will still AF with a cheapo Tamron or Kenko 1.4x without taping the pins (I use Tamron 1.4x on my Bigma + 20D/350D/300D). AF will hunt a little but in good light and/or contrasty subjects, it works fine.

In fact, the Bigma will even AF with a cheapo Tamron 2x TC (at f/13!) on the 350D/300D, but only on the 4 outer horizontal points. The center, top and bottom AF points can't achieve focus lock at all.

I've no luck getting AF with my Sigma 1.4x + f/5.6 or f/6.3 lenses even if I tape the pins. It just hunts endlessly without achieving focus lock.

Cheerps,

Romy
Romy:
Wondering whether the camera body might make a difference. Do you think it possible the 1.4 will AF on centre points with a 20D? Guess the only real way to find out is to track one down and test ...
cheers,
jim

Ryder said:
Hi:

I've read lots of folks having success with a modified Nikon 1.4. I believe you have to remove or cover a contact.

I'm getting on to and I want it to be able to work with the "d200." A real shot in the dark .

Cheers,
Craig Ryder
With a D2x (and maybe the forthcoming D200 if it uses similar system to the D2x) and Sigma 500mm f4.5 you can only get AF with the Nikon tc14-e (maybe the tc17-e as well)... the modification is filing off a small lug on the tc, even i achieved this in minutes.

Problem is, that the tc14-e doesn't AF with any lenses without AFS/HSM... so AFD lenses are out ( such as 80-400mm VR). Ideally you have both a Kenko and a tc14-e to cover your bases.

cheers,
Andy

jimtfoto said:
Romy:
Wondering whether the camera body might make a difference. Do you think it possible the 1.4 will AF on centre points with a 20D? Guess the only real way to find out is to track one down and test ...
cheers,
jim

Jim,

The 20D + Bigma + Tamron 1.4x TC will AF on the center point. It will also AF on non-center points, albeit with some hesitation and hunting in low light or less contrasty subjects. The Bigma, because it's really an f/6.3 lens, exhibits this tendency with the 20D and other 1.6 CF bodies even without a TC.

Romy

Thanks Romy ... I was at my local camera store last night and talked to one of the sales guys. He thought the same. Will be heading there this weekend, with camera and lens, to check out both Tamrons (1.4 and 2).

cheers,
jim

jimtfoto said:
GB:

at any rate the priority for me right now is getting my wife's 20D repaired ... toppled it last night after shooting some nesting barn swallows and it appears the diaphragm is buggered.

Jim,

Sorry to hear about your wife's camera! I hope you aren't out sleeping with the dogs.

I recently got the Tamron 1.4 Pro, and I love it, though my lens is a 28-300mm, not nearly as long as yours. I do have a preset 500/1000 and just for kicks one day, I plan to put the teleconverter on that to see what happens. That lens doesn't AF anyhow.

Lydia :girl:

FeistyRdHd said:
jimtfoto said:
GB:

at any rate the priority for me right now is getting my wife's 20D repaired ... toppled it last night after shooting some nesting barn swallows and it appears the diaphragm is buggered.

Jim,

Sorry to hear about your wife's camera! I hope you aren't out sleeping with the dogs.

I recently got the Tamron 1.4 Pro, and I love it, though my lens is a 28-300mm, not nearly as long as yours. I do have a preset 500/1000 and just for kicks one day, I plan to put the teleconverter on that to see what happens. That lens doesn't AF anyhow.

Lydia :girl:
Lydia:
Thanks for wishing me well, but actually it was my wife who toppled the camera. We did pick up the Tamron 1.4TC for Tania to use with her 100-400 L, but she has since decided to use her Canon 2X TC. I've been using the Tamron with my Bigma for a couple of days. It does hunt for AF in less-than-perfect conditions, but I find it brighter through the viewfinder than my Sigma 2X, so it makes MF a little easier on these old eyes.
cheers,
jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back