• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Khao Yai and Kaeng Krachang, Thailand (1 Viewer)

Nice report Hanno, especially as I will be visiting both sites once again in February. Completely gripped by your Leopard sighting! We've spent many a night driving and walking up and down the road at Kaeng Krachen without a sniff of any cat other than Leopard Cat, well done.

Kaeng Krachen really is a superb site for birding, one of my favourites, I'd recommend the site to anyone thinking about visiting Thailand.

BTW is it easy to find the site for the eagles near Petchaburi? Interested in visiting this site in February.

Edit: See you in a bit Tim, woke up late today, still weeping form my near win at pool last night, you Norfolk boys carry a lot of luck.

Hanno,

Love the photo of the bull Elephant wandering down the road at Khao Yai!

Amazing to see this, Binturong and Leopard on the same trip - great stuff.

Look forward to the next report.

Rob

James,

The place for raptors is about 3 miles before Petchaburi, you can see it from the highway. There are huge rice (dry as opposed to paddie) fields on your left as you are coming from BKK. Apparently, it is normally very good for Harriers, which we didn't see.

As for Leopards, my friend Tu, who is also a wildlife guide, and spends all his time birding, has only seen Leopard three times before, in 20 years, so we count ourselves extremely lucky.

Totally agree with you about Kaeng Krachan. We have great birding here in Viet Nam, but nowhere near as accessible as Kaeng Krachan. Amazingly, the place is deserted apart from weekends and holidays.

Yes Rob,

This trip was as exciting for animals as it was for birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back