• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Duck on Luzon - Anserologists Needed (1 Viewer)

cuckooroller

In question is the Duck (more or less centred in these photos) with the white face split by the blackish vertical line. Accompanied by mostly Shovelers, Garganeys, Pintails, etc. This is one that has us guessing... Possibly hybrid, but hybrid what?

Attachments

• Mystery Duck 1.jpg
    Mystery Duck 1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Mystery Duck 2.jpg
    Mystery Duck 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Mystery Duck 3.jpg
    Mystery Duck 3.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 128
cuckooroller said:
In question is the Duck (more or less centred in these photos) with the white face split by the blackish vertical line. Accompanied by mostly Shovelers, Garganeys, Pintails, etc. This is one that has us guessing... Possibly hybrid, but hybrid what?

Looks like it has a pretty high percentage of Baikal Teal in it to me, Steve!

Edit - I'll leave others to comment on coloration as I've learned from experience that my laptop does not seem to give a "true" impression of colours.

I agree that there is a lot of Baikal Teal in this, but there could be some Garganey as well! The speculum pattern is more similar to Garganey, having two whitish stripes across the secondaries. I think Baikal Teal only has one.

I think this could be a Garganey hybrid.
Speculum looks good for Garganey, also the jizz and the bill size.

It is difficult to find out what the other species involved may be; as there are several hybrid combinations that show a Baikal Teal like head pattern and do not involve Baikal Teal at all.

Examples of hybrids which can show a Baikal-Teal-like headpattern are:
Teal x Northern Shoveler (That is actually very similar to the head pattern of the bird here, but with a shoveler-like bill)
Pintail x Teal
BW Teal x GW Teal
Pintail x Wigeon

and there are more...

However, it could well be Garganey x Baikal Teal, as baikal Teal face pattern can be quite dominant in hybrids, but I have no information on such a hybrid...

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

checked what I found in the Gillham books on hybrid ducks this weekend,

but I am afraid I can´t help-there is nothing on Garganey x BaikalTeal...if anybody manages to refind the bird and gets some closer photos, I 'd be very interested!

Also if you have these photos with a greater resolution, I´d be happy to see them ...This is a very interesting bird!

Regards, Jörn

Jörn,
Thanks for the time spent. I will ask if there are other higher res photos and if such exist I will send them your e-mail.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back