• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Redpoll ? (1 Viewer)

Finzzup

Hi! I'm pretty new to birding and have been having such a blast watching the birds come to my feeders this month. For some reason, all I ever get are Blue Jays (and LOTS of them) but occasionally I have seen House Finches, a Woodpecker and now I have a mystery bird. After searching the internet, I am almost positive it's a "Common Redpoll" -- yet everything I read about this bird says it is found way up in the northern Canada area... I have seen a few sites that says it will find it's way into the northern US occasionally during the winter, so maybe it's possible? I live in NW Iowa.

He looks like a regular Sparrow, has a red head and a red breast and has a bit of black underneath his chin. He's definitely not a House or a Purple Finch. At first I thought he was a Cassin's Finch, but once I saw a pic of a Common Redpoll, I knew this is what he has to be.

Is this rare? Or have I just not read enough about the bird yet to find out that he is in the US more often?

Common redpoll is a beautiful little bird.. they like it cold and we have them but not until next month sometime.. I am including a pic for you ...see if it this one ok?

Hello Finzzup
Did you find the pix? Was it Common Redpoll?

I know that the books tell us that birds should be at a particular place during a particular period but so many are now out of date and with global warming as well, many species are behaving strangely. This does not just apply to birds either!

burhinus

Well, I can't figure out where to find the picture that Gaye posted! I went to Gallery but didn't see a Redpoll... however, I have looked at many pics on the internet and I am positive it is a Common Redpoll. I wish I could get a picture of it, but he stays hidden within the branches of my trees...

It has to be one -- I just wish I knew if it were a "rare" spotting or not. :) He didn't show up today, so I'm sure hoping I just missed him!

Finzzup - be a little weary of the bird territories in your book. I have three books (well, one for me, one for son, and one for daughter) and on a number of birds each book shows a different type of range. MY bird book shows that they can, and do, regularly winter in NW Iowa.

BTW, if you are like me, if they are a regular visitor to your area it will take you forever to see the first one, and then once you do, you will see them frequently.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back