• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoper of the Year 2010 (1 Viewer)

I do sign up for one of their forums and have contributed on it. Their choice of kit is much more photo adapter /DSLR than the DSLR/lens attached to the eyepiece in the US in the festivals i have attended over the years in Spain

Paul

Paul,

Is the Photo Adapter for scope is considered Digiscoping like my setup ? If yes, I should have submit my picture for the contest kekekeke

Dale

i dont think for one minute its the points you raise in all honesty, i do think it is the amount of sunshine and the amazing choice of birds they have there, plus the colours are very bright and vivid with their birds, something that to me draws you in. I do try and go over to Spain at least once a year to digiscope

I do sign up for one of their forums and have contributed on it. Their choice of kit is much more photo adapter /DSLR than the DSLR/lens attached to the eyepiece in the US in the festivals i have attended over the years in Spain

Paul

congratulations also from me, Paul, I really liked that image and was hoping it would do well :t:

I didn't speculate as to why it was like that, just that the digiscoping scene in Spain seems to be thriving. But if I were to speculate about anything, I would say that the digiscoping scene in Spain is somewhat more about getting great shots and less about hardcore birding and the typical digiscoper in the States is a birder that also takes photos (and sometimes rather well).
This thought is very much in line with my response to Larry on my recent blog post:
http://10000birds.com/digiscoping-crash-course.htm

Happy birding
Dale

Paul,

Is the Photo Adapter for scope is considered Digiscoping like my setup ? If yes, I should have submit my picture for the contest kekekeke

In Europe Yes, it is certainly considered as Digiscoping, it is not so popular in the USA, they prefer the eyepiece connected to a compact/dslr in the experiences i have seen and observed on the forums

Paul

Dale

i dont think for one minute its the points you raise in all honesty, i do think it is the amount of sunshine and the amazing choice of birds they have there, plus the colours are very bright and vivid with their birds, something that to me draws you in.

Paul

I agree. The same can be said about Portugal. I've seen amazing digiscoped photos with lots of light from there. Digiscoping as such demands good light, and of course, the more colorful the bird, the more eye-catching the photo might be.

In Europe Yes, it is certainly considered as Digiscoping, it is not so popular in the USA, they prefer the eyepiece connected to a compact/dslr in the experiences i have seen and observed on the forums

Paul

I would have thought it was more akin to prime focus than digiscoping. The photo adapter is only required because the prism in the scope can't be removed. I think once you remove the eyepiece and the camera lens then it ceases to be digiscoping.

Paul.

I would have thought it was more akin to prime focus than digiscoping. The photo adapter is only required because the prism in the scope can't be removed. I think once you remove the eyepiece and the camera lens then it ceases to be digiscoping.

Paul.

I was about to ask about this - since I agree with the quote above - what is accepted as "digiscoping"? (tried to looked it up at the Digiscoper of the year-site but found nothing specific.)
A swarowski scope with dslr adapter is as much digiscoping as prime focus through a astroscope - right? Are those photos accepted in the contest?

Paul.

Maybe Dale could clarify in the context of the above competition what setups were acceptable as "Digiscoping" and what wasnt for the rules of the competition ?

As i am not sure if the 20 winners setups will be published this time based on the previous post on this competition?

Paul

In the case of the winning control pic at least, I think we see a staged scene that allowed for the close-up shot. I would bet the photographer used a blind or camo to hide his position and lured the bird in with recorded song, decoys and/or a feeder. This kind of shot prep is usually the deciding factor between the casual shooter and the dedicated pro. So perhaps that is the "secret" to the Spanish success? Nothing wrong with that!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back