• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whole Sunflower Hearts or Chips (2 Viewers)

Bob D

Feed about 150 pounds of sunflower hearts each winter. Have always used whole sunflower hearts.

It is time to purchase another 50 pound bag of hull less sunflower seed and wonder what others prefer--hull less sunflower seed or chips?

Thanks

Hello Bob,
I only use shelled sun flower heart's and they attract everything around my yard, so I think they must prefer them.

You're talking about two types of sunflower hearts w/o their shell correct?

I prefer the chips as I was having problems with the larger hearts blocking the feeder ports and the chip feeders just got more visits from the birds and drained quicker. The chips are much cheaper than the whole heart so that also steered me in that direction.

You're talking about two types of sunflower hearts w/o their shell correct?

I prefer the chips as I was having problems with the larger hearts blocking the feeder ports and the chip feeders just got more visits from the birds and drained quicker. The chips are much cheaper than the whole heart so that also steered me in that direction.

Yes, no shell on the sunflower seeds.

I will try the chips as there is a problem with the whole hearts blocking the feeder ports.

The price difference for the whole hearts vs chips various year to year. Some years the whole hearts are cheaper and at times the chips are cheaper.

By the way, I buy my bird seed at a grain elevator Currently a 50# bag of whole sunflower hearts (no shell) is $49.

Also I feed white proso millet and a 50# bag is $15

I didn't even realize there was a difference, I thought hulled sunflower seeds were the same as the hearts. I guess hearts are just smaller forms of the hulled ones? I do use hulled sometimes but I always worry about it getting wet and spoiling, and also it doesn't seem like the birds are huge fans of it, EXCEPT Goldfinches which love it.

Hi Guys.

I'm a newby to the site who joined whilst researching a supplier for sunflower hearts.

I'm glad I joined and posted as a response from LenR revealed this link http://twootz.com/product/Sunflower-Hearts

I have placed an order and at £17.70 for 12.55 kg which is spot on and delivered to my door.

I made the order up to £20.00 to get free delivery.

Hi Guys.

I'm a newby to the site who joined whilst researching a supplier for sunflower hearts.

I'm glad I joined and posted as a response from LenR revealed this link http://twootz.com/product/Sunflower-Hearts

I have placed an order and at £17.70 for 12.55 kg which is spot on and delivered to my door.

I made the order up to £20.00 to get free delivery.

And the 25kg bags at £27.70 are extreemely good value too. The birds in my garden love the Berry Suet Pellets, 25kg saves me over £40 for the same weight bought from my local garden centre.

Last edited:
Saving energy.

We've used Sunflower Hearts since listening to a talk about the benefit that none of their precious energy reserves during the cold winter months is wasted opening the shells. I wouldn't have even thought about that.

Despite an earlier post recommending a web site for sunflower chips - though 6 years old - it is still active - but at least 2 leading uk sites do not charge postage for 12.55 kg of any bird food. Buyers need to look around.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back