• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinchs (1 Viewer)

I get a few at a time this time of year , they will also eat husked sunflower seeds

Attachments

• DSC07813.JPG
    DSC07813.JPG
    479.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC07788.JPG
    DSC07788.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 67
You must have ours :(
We used to get perhaps 8 as a time but now occassionaly get 1 or 2.
When you've had enough of them would you be kind enough to send them back please :)

Even since I first posted on this thread I have tried to find a photo on my computer that I took of two "tube-style" thistle feeders hanging close together either last spring or the spring before that. I had one sitting on each perch (16?) with several waiting around close by. I'll try to get another pic as it warms up.

I had to just stop feeding the Goldfinches this winter. 30+ of them would swarm the thistle feeder and empty it within a few days, and I was spending way too much money on the seed. When the thistle feeder was empty, they would take over the sunflower seed feeders and scare away other birds. It's been a few months since I stopped offering thistle and I still have a few hanging around.

Goldfinch Numbers

I do have a regular small flock visiting my garden from first light in the morning till around 9.30 and then they will move away only to come back at around 3pm till last light .

They usually feed on sunflower hearts though i did feed niger seed at one point but the cost and waste proved excessive so i changed to sunflower hearts. This had a effect of cutting down on cost and waste but my finches went missing for a while. That said after around 2 weeks they returned in force now on a normal day we have between 20 and 30 Goldfinches at any one time. The benefit of this is also the spillages are picked up by a more diverse range of birds including daily visits from Chaffinches and more regular visits from Greenfinches other birds that are more frequent visitors now are Coal and Great Tit's and in regards to waste it is now almost zero.

The problem i have now is i would like to see other species visit my garden feeders i have seen Bullfinches in my local area but they have so far steered clear of my garden if any one has any tips on how to get them to visit i would be very grateful

All the best Rizla01 :t:

My goldfinches rarely touch Niger seed - only when the queue for sunflower hearts gets too long. A couple of years ago they all went AWOL when a field full of thistle heads ripened - perhaps they prefer them fresh round here?

I let the feeders run out for a few days and that way your usual flock move on and others come in when you replenish. There seem to be more bullfinches around this year and I am getting long tailed tits regularly for the first time but far fewer greenfinches and chaffinches - so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back