• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filey Brigg and Bempton Cliffs (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
Got to Filey at half three. It was packed and with a disconsolate heart thought i would walk to the end of the Brigg anyway. To my mucho surprise it emptied almost as i set foot upon it. On the way along the beach spotted loads of Herring, Lesser B-B, Black Headed Gulls and a single Cormorant skimming over the waves. On the Brigg itself nothing until i got past the point, then a whistle of Oystercatchers fly past on a gale of wind and land round the far side of the headland. Trace the bins down to where they landed and i see red legs flash and disappear. A pair of Redshank. Carrying on up the brigg i see a group of Cormorants at the far tip and some more Oystercatchers. Amongst these appeared to be Sanderling, Knot and definitely Ringed Plover. There were a small group of Terns, Common and Sandwich plonked right on the end of the Brigg behind the Cormorants and a pair of Eiders paddling in the sheltered Filey side. A few Gannets from Bempton flew over a various points and after a long haul back to the car i decided to take a look at the Gannetry. Once there it was half six so starting to get dark. A pair of juv. Goldfinches and some Swallows summed up the passerine interest. Kittiwakes, Fulmar and Gannets along with many gulls and some (semi) Rock Doves were about. Very cold and Dark by the time i got back to the car but well worth a look to round a good afternoon off which included 3 lifers (Sandwich Tern, Eiders and Ringed Plover).

All good fun B :)

Sounds like a good days birding to me.

When we went to Bempton a few weeks ago we saw all the usuals, but I thought there wasn't as many Puffins unless I just wasn't finding them all.

As for Filey it was about a year or two since I have been there,saw about as many as you did as well (It is a good place) but my main memory of the day was walking along the cliffs with a group, the clouds were becoming quite dark, the "Michael Fish - Weatherman" of our group said "oh no they will pass us" and pass us they did - right over the top of us depositing so much rain we were all soaked through.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back