• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Day at martin-mere. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
Sat 28.8.o4.

Went to martin-mere for a few hour's, headed straight to north-west-water hide, to see if the spotted crake was still showing. 9-30AM an i have never seen this hide so busy, yes you guesse'd the crake was on SHOW. It did itself proud for about 20-min's, and then became a bit elusive, in and out of the pool's and reed's it was difficult to pick out, so it was a case of early bird gets best veiw's.
This is the list of the rest of my sighting's for sat.

4. Buzzard's.

2. Kestrels.

1. juv, Marsh harrier.

1. sparrowhawk.

1. and a lifer for me, the spotted crake.

Awalk along the nature trail, produced.

blackbirds-songthrush-treesparrows-chaffinches-bluetits-great-tits-longtailed-tits.

and on the mere, 1 garganey. There were also 200+ blackheaded gulls, with at least 80+ 1st winter's. so all in all it was a good birding day.
bert.

ps. I was told the opening of the new hide built on the land for the new reedbeds, will be set to open on the bird fair weekend, which this year will be just Sat-Sunday in November do not know the date's yet.

Sounds like you had a great day out Bert and now I know where all the Chaffinches and Great Tits have gone. Haven't seen any for ages.

I love reading people's day out reports, too idle myself.

Ann

bert said:
Sat 28.8.o4.

Went to martin-mere for a few hour's, headed straight to north-west-water hide, to see if the spotted crake was still showing. 9-30AM an i have never seen this hide so busy, yes you guesse'd the crake was on SHOW. It did itself proud for about 20-min's, and then became a bit elusive, in and out of the pool's and reed's it was difficult to pick out, so it was a case of early bird gets best veiw's.
This is the list of the rest of my sighting's for sat.

4. Buzzard's.

2. Kestrels.

1. juv, Marsh harrier.

1. sparrowhawk.

1. and a lifer for me, the spotted crake.

Awalk along the nature trail, produced.

blackbirds-songthrush-treesparrows-chaffinches-bluetits-great-tits-longtailed-tits.

and on the mere, 1 garganey. There were also 200+ blackheaded gulls, with at least 80+ 1st winter's. so all in all it was a good birding day.
bert.

ps. I was told the opening of the new hide built on the land for the new reedbeds, will be set to open on the bird fair weekend, which this year will be just Sat-Sunday in November do not know the date's yet.

We too went to Martin Mere, - first ever visit, but sadly could not get there so early, Gateshead being slightly further away than your good self Bert lol.

In fact at one point, it was debatable whether we'd get there as some of the rain was deluge plus (is that an acceptable description?). Highlights for me was the battle between Marsh harrier & Buzzard over some carrion, one of the locals told be this dual had earlier been a threesome (trual?, trial?) with a juvenile Peregrine joining in the fun!

I took my "cheapo just for fun scope" so the views from the Ron Barker hide, into the sun were not as good as I might have hoped. I did miss an assumed Merlin, but when the guy who called it said it may have been a Kestrel, I discarded that one, especially as it landed and foraged in or near water. i never saw it and my dad, who is even more of a novice than me, having seen the guides would never claim a merlin, - probably another of the half dozen or so Marsh Harriers flying around!

Blissfully unaware of the Spotted Crake, on learning my route (I did say it was my first time) I again bumped into the guy who'd told me about the fighting raptors previously, he then told me of the Crake as I was near the NWW Hide. (North West Water for those who haven't been) - after what seemed forever, (probably 10 minutes in reality) it sort of showed itself. Scope views were essential as it wasn't showing as obligingly as it obviously had been earlier - sill a nice tick for someone who has yet to see any Crake!

Despite being there several hours, we never had enough time to look at the captive birds, and the full layout of the park, which looks good, but of course one is always torn between that and looking at the wild birds. For the raptors aone, as well as the usual helping with WWT etc. it's well worth a visit, approx 150-160 miles from this location. Next time though, I'm leaving earlier.

Good day out.

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Quacker, as you say just a bit further trip for you!! but glad you at least got a glimpse of the spotted crake. It did give very good views early on. Ispoke to someone later on about midday who said he got a good sighting, so it was just luck. Good raptor day eh, as for the rest of the park worth a look if you have the time. Hope you can make it again sometime and spend a bit of the day relaxing, and taking in the whole place. regards bert.

No doubt we will Bert. it was a bit of a spontaneous thing. Sometimes we go north to Caelaverock and have often been going to do MMere. Now we know it, will get there sooner and make more of a day of it, perhaps with the kids. it's not always just about birding, and the little of the collection birds seemed well laid out.

I count myself lucky I got the Crake at all, as it is usually one I'd miss!

Regards

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back