• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (44 Viewers)

petty but it all helps

On Thursday the Trust are having a Children's day in the east hide - not sure what time (I will find out). Anyway we were asked by the Trust to sweep and tidy up the hide, as it was quite a mess. :eek!:
As you know the reserve is managed and wardened by a great number of willing volunteers. So to help us out could everyone please take home there food wrappers, cartons/ can and bottles(non-alcoholic - I hope, but that's another story for another day8-P).
Oh! and to the person that thinks chucking banana skins out of the concrete hide is acceptable this applies to you as well....and you were seen by the way. So I will add banana skins to the list. :t:John

Rant over now the real news........soz THAT'S TOMORROW8-P. Arrived late (10.20) as I needed a lie in, ready for tomorrow's early start.
Apart from Andy's little gull still fairly quiet, the little egrets continue to be present, hanging on much longer than I would have expected. I didn't go to the east hide so no precise counts today. Not sure if any of the Friday crew did a count though? The cetti's and water rails were very vocal on the west side and reed buntings were holding territory in most of the suitable habitat.
The SW marsh continues to hold a good few ducks and the oycs utilise the short grassy shoreline. - I think it might be worth keeping this area short throughout the summer, as this is the only decent grassy area on the periphery of the pool. As nothing breeds here, it should be worth a few hours a month sweating to preserve it.
Highlights:-
Moors:LITTLE GULL - Adult winter mostly (Andy Pitt)
GCG 4, little Egret 3, shelduck 6, gadwall 2, teal 8(SW marsh), Tufted 60ish,
water rail 3 calling west side, lapwing 2, Oystercatcher 4, avocet 2, BHG 250, kestrel, buzzard 5 or 6, cettis w 2. chiffchaff 2, reed bunting 6

NORTH MOORS: Gadwall pr, teal 6, tufted pr, coot, water rail, cettis , reed bunting 2,

FLASHES: Teal 16, snipe 2, lapwing 3, curlew 5, Avocet 23, Oystercatcher 2, BHG c150, stock dove 5, cettis w singing, goldcrest singing,

Water Levels

MOORS:
The present level is 0.78. This is 2 cm higher than normal for the time of year, to ensure the workings become well established. As the spring is now approaching I reconnected the overflow pipe today - this will maintain the level at 0.76, once thge excess has run off.

FLASHES:
At present this is at 0.5. which is the normal for the time of year. However it seems a bit too high and with rain predicted I opened up the sluice a little. I will gauge the level tomorrow and adjust accordingly. It is going to be difficult to get it spot on, as we have got a new sluice.

Rant over now the real news........soz THAT'S TOMORROW8-P. Arrived late (10.20) as I needed a lie in, ready for tomorrow's early start.
Apart from Andy's little gull still fairly quiet, the little egrets continue to be present, hanging on much longer than I would have expected. I didn't go to the east hide so no precise counts today. Not sure if any of the Friday crew did a count though? The cetti's and water rails were very vocal on the west side and reed buntings were holding territory in most of the suitable habitat.
The SW marsh continues to hold a good few ducks and the oycs utilise the short grassy shoreline. - I think it might be worth keeping this area short throughout the summer, as this is the only decent grassy area on the periphery of the pool. As nothing breeds here, it should be worth a few hours a month sweating to preserve it.
Highlights:-
Moors:LITTLE GULL - Adult winter mostly (Andy Pitt)
GCG 4, little Egret 3, shelduck 6, gadwall 2, teal 8(SW marsh), Tufted 60ish,
water rail 3 calling west side, lapwing 2, Oystercatcher 4, avocet 2, BHG 250, kestrel, buzzard 5 or 6, cettis w 2. chiffchaff 2, reed bunting 6

NORTH MOORS: Gadwall pr, teal 6, tufted pr, coot, water rail, cettis , reed bunting 2,

FLASHES: Teal 16, snipe 2, lapwing 3, curlew 5, Avocet 23, Oystercatcher 2, BHG c150, stock dove 5, cettis w singing, goldcrest singing,

Having gone round to the East Hide at the Moors Pool some of my counts are different to yours. These are as follows:

Shoveler 26, Teal 14, Gadwall 5, Shelduck 7, Snipe 4, Little Grebe, Kingfisher, Sparrowhawk, Cetti's 3, LBBG 3, Herring Gull & c30 Fieldfare over the car park.

Also at the Flashes I had the following different counts:

Snipe 8, Lapwing 4, Shelduck 2, Gadwall 2, Buzzard, Skylark, Med Gull(2S), Common Gull(adult).

Incidentally, the Second-summer Med Gull had the jet black hood of an adult bird with the black & white primaries shown by a second winter bird. the blood red bill had a black tip to it.

Andy's 2nd summer from yesterday, photographed this morning at the Flashes

Attachments

• 2. cropped med DSCF6131.jpg
    2. cropped med DSCF6131.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 3. cropped  medDSCF6119.jpg
    3. cropped medDSCF6119.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 129
Early start at the Flashes.
Arrived at 5.55am and it had already been light for half an hour. The wind was SE at first then moved to the SW with rain arriving at 9.45. A bit disappointing , but you've got to give it a whirl.
A bit of local movement, but no real vis mig. Teal had dropped dramatically but otherwise as yesterday.
species count FLASHES:
Teal 6, shoveler pr arrived early am, shelduck pr female went into the nest box next to the sewage works. Tufted 5, greylag 5 over, coot 19, snipe 3, lapwing 2 males displaying, curlew 3, oystercatcher pr, avocet 21 min, Med Gull 2nd summer, hering gull 10 south, LBBG 10 south, BHG 600, buzzard 4. raven, stock dove 10+, fieldfare 55, redwing 5, starling c60, cetti's warbler 3rd flash, chiffchaff 3, goldfinch 3, pied wag 2,

just some pics from yesterday, with some guidance (thanks Gert) and a bit of homework I think pics 2 & 3 are Meadow Pipets had 7 on the North Moors having trouble flying against the wind with none calling,if I'm wrong with ID can you let me know Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    620.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    432.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0648 (2).JPG
    IMG_0648 (2).JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    672 KB · Views: 127
few more from yesterday, with a better photo of wing bars on M/Pipet ?

Attachments

• IMG_0649 (2).JPG
    IMG_0649 (2).JPG
    415.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    652 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    486 KB · Views: 107
3cy Med Gull again at the Flashes and 21 Avocet (as per Dave J's Twitter)

Edit - further update:

3 Little Egrets, Mediterranean Gull (2s) mid morning, 3 Sand Martin, 4 Water Rail, 3 Kingfisher - Upton Warren, Moors Pool.

Last edited:
Med Gull in to roost at Flashes @ 19.20 after spending all day on the Moors. Also a BTO-ringed BHG at Flashes. Think the number is 2500.67 but there may be another digit after the 7. As it appears to be nest building I'm sure the number will be read fully at some stage.

Med Gull in to roost at Flashes @ 19.20 after spending all day on the Moors. Also a BTO-ringed BHG at Flashes. Think the number is 2500.67 but there may be another digit after the 7. As it appears to be nest building I'm sure the number will be read fully at some stage.

On a colour ring or just a bog standard metal one?

Although the wind didn't bring in any birds it did blow over another large tree in the North Moors plantation. pic by Mike W wheatearlp.

In the plantation all the trees are of the same age and are reaching their climax at the together. This means that they are all reaching for the open canopy, the stronger species like the oak will dominate but even these are suffering. Whereby the lower branches are mostly dead and very sparsely leaved, although the decaying wood is a great habitat for insect and fungi. Many of the weaker trees such as silver birch, rowan and larch are dead apart from the top few feet. The worse case scenario is that all the trees will die off together, but luckily some had already been coppiced and kept alive. This will give structural diversity and now allow an under-story of scrub to get a foothold having been previously absent. Some of the taller trees cannot be saved, but as long as they don't pose a health and safety issue, they will be left in situ.

Attachments

• twitter fallen nm birchwBA8uw2e.jpg
    twitter fallen nm birchwBA8uw2e.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back