• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 60mm Fieldscope 11A (1 Viewer)

arry02

could any body please help me choose an upgrade eyepiece for my Nikon 60mm Fieldscope 11A at the moment its got the standard 20-45 , my budget is around £250.

If I owned it - I have an ED50A and an ED82A - I would surely go for the 20x/30x/38x Wide MC, delivering a similar image as the Wide DS 16x/24x/30x with my ED82A.

If you're into lower magnification, the abovementioned Wide DS should fit your bill with its 24x. Using the 27x/40x/50x Wide DS/MC as your only eyepiece would probably mean some loss of brightness, but combined with a DS 16x/24x/30x it would give you the best of two worlds.

The ED50A is great with the 27x and the ED82A awesome with the 30x and I don't change them too often. You cant go wrong with the 20x/30x/38x!

//L

Edit: http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/scopes/mc/index.htm

Go to the "Specifications" tab and find that the 30x Wide has a wider field than the zoom has at 20x! (2.4 degrees vs 2.0 degrees).
The 40x Wide only differs with 0.2 degrees to the zoom at 20x, which was the reason I changed to a set of fixed eyepieces. I still have the MCII zoom, but only for occasional use at its highest power.

Last edited:
I agree with looksharp...I had the EDIII for a while and It was coupled with the 30X MC Wide(20X-30X-38X)..I think the compromise brightness/Magnification is perfect in that combo..Although by now,If You use the Zoom,You should now what magnification You favored in most situations-All the options are excellent really...

Yes, get the 30x, you'll enjoy the wide FOV in comparison to your zoom at the same power. If you are looking for more power, I'd go for the 20-60x zoom over the 60x fixed. But 60x isn't much larger magnification than 45x, so don't bother with that. Get the 30x.

--AP

so how does the 20x/30x/38x wide MC compares to the 1 i already have ?

In short: "Jawdropping!"

The long story:
1) You'll gain a window-like viewing experience thanks to its 72-degree AFOV (OK, Nikon says it's 64.3 degrees, which is still a lot more than the zoom's).
Advantages of the greater FOV are easier target finding which will provide more time for IDing the birds and a better overview of the scene since the "porthole" view is gone.
Last but not least, the aesthetical merits of the image increases significantly. The dark area outside the field is so far out from the image that you'll even sometimes be unaware of it. This also increases perceived brightness a bit.

Much better eye relief: If you use spectacles, you can keep them on your nose with the Wide MC. Not so with the zoom.

This may not sound as much to brag about, but from what I've read, very few will favor the zoom after trying a Fieldscope "Wide" eyepiece.

//L

arry02...Do You have the ED version of the scope?..If You are going to spend 250 pounds in an eyepiece,and You want to improve the image you have ,the jump to ED from a non ED version would be more significant than the eyepiece upgrade..I saw an EDIII with the 30X WA(older version with rubber eyecup,same optics though) for 450 pounds ,last week on Ebay and possibly relisted by now...definitely worth the price

In short: "Jawdropping!"

The long story:
1) You'll gain a window-like viewing experience thanks to its 72-degree AFOV (OK, Nikon says it's 64.3 degrees, which is still a lot more than the zoom's).
Advantages of the greater FOV are easier target finding which will provide more time for IDing the birds and a better overview of the scene since the "porthole" view is gone.
Last but not least, the aesthetical merits of the image increases significantly. The dark area outside the field is so far out from the image that you'll even sometimes be unaware of it. This also increases perceived brightness a bit.

Much better eye relief: If you use spectacles, you can keep them on your nose with the Wide MC. Not so with the zoom.

This may not sound as much to brag about, but from what I've read, very few will favor the zoom after trying a Fieldscope "Wide" eyepiece.

//L

even on a non ED scope

even on a non ED scope

Neither of these two properties will depend on whether it is the ED or the standard version you have.
I haven't used any of the various 60 mm non-ED models, but they are by no means "bad", and definitely deserve a good eyepiece.

The significance of the eyepiece as a part of the optical train is often underrated. Get the 30x if you can, and if you decide to upgrade the scope, you'll most certainly choose to keep it!

//L

x30

:t:
Neither of these two properties will depend on whether it is the ED or the standard version you have.
I haven't used any of the various 60 mm non-ED models, but they are by no means "bad", and definitely deserve a good eyepiece.

The significance of the eyepiece as a part of the optical train is often underrated. Get the 30x if you can, and if you decide to upgrade the scope, you'll most certainly choose to keep it!

//L

thanks Looksharp , you have made my mind up cheers for your post :t:

Last edited:
I have the 30X WMC on my ED60 II (straight) and am delighted with it. I also bought the tiny 40X eyepiece for £25 from In-Focus and it lives in a little drawstring pouch around the scope for when I need to push that bit harder for a distant view or an ID. It obviously isn't a patch on the WMC but it does the job. In-Focus always have a few on their website.

I have the ED111 with a 30x wide and the 20-60 Zoom.

I like both a lot, but tend to keep the 30x on. Having said that I like the brightness of the 20x on the Zoom.

Off Sea watching tomorrow so will take the Zoom as well.

Geoff

Well, if it is any help arry02, I took both of mine mentioned above to North Wales on Friday, and much preferred the 30x.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back