• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ring ouzel (1 Viewer)

SteveC

At last, after missing out on seeing one for years I've seen two in one week.

Attachments

• ouzel.jpg
    ouzel.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 854
SteveC said:
Good job I work at the observatory there isn it ;)
Grrr! I envy people like you who are on the spot, Martin Cade is another one at Portland Obs. A nice bird I shall go for next month when they should be easier to see on Dartmoor.

I spent the whole afternoon scouring a local hot-spot for them to no avail. Did see a beauty of a stonechat, though!

Well done Steve - always a bird worth seeing. I remember during a brief spell living in Kent I found three in a small field by the University campus in Canterbury at about this time of year. Really smart.

Andrew said:
Grrr! I envy people like you who are on the spot, Martin Cade is another one at Portland Obs. A nice bird I shall go for next month when they should be easier to see on Dartmoor.
Hi Andrew,

I'd go now if you can, while they're still singing / displaying - in a month's time they'll be on eggs and very hard to find. They should all be in now, 'specially down south there.

Michael

Andrew said:
Michael Frankis said:
Hi Andrew,

I'd go now if you can, while they're still singing / displaying - in a month's time they'll be on eggs and very hard to find. They should all be in now, 'specially down south there.

Michael
You can afford to wait a week or so, Andrew! I was up at Vitifer/Soussons on Friday and totally failed to find any. Other people had better luck- they saw just one, at a vast distance.

Jason

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Andrew,

Michael
Thanks for the tip off. I saw a male attending a nest in a tree last May and assumed this meant it was easier to see them in May. Will get down as soon as I can.

Bluetail said:
You can afford to wait a week or so, Andrew! I was up at Vitifer/Soussons on Friday and totally failed to find any. Other people had better luck- they saw just one, at a vast distance.

Jason
There was a report of a pair at the bottom of the slope running away from the picnic tables. At Warren House that is. I was there last week too and did not see any at all.

Thanks, Andrew. I tried that too without any luck! However, from snippets I've heard it seems that that "lawn" may be a more reliable place to see them these days.

Jason

Bluetail said:

Jason
Hmmm . . . makes me wonder if they're already on eggs down your way. Dartmoor, they should be in by mid March. They're usually arriving up here at the end of March, and I've seen them carrying food off for chicks as early as the start of May. That gives a Northumbs egg-laying date circa mid April, and I can easily believe they'd be a couple of weeks earlier down your way.

Try now, but be prepared to try again (a) when they have large young in the nest or newly fledged young demanding lots of food, or (b) when they sing again to re-establish territories for their second brood (I've heard them sing again late May / early June)

Michael

Michael, actually you're probably right. A quick scan through past Devon bird reports suggests that they tend to arrive on Dartmoor in late March. It hadn't occurred to me that they might get down to breeding right away.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back