• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Scandinavia (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Anyone have experience of birding in Denmark and / or the west coast of Sweden ?

I'm planning a cycling / birding tour (10 - 14 days), not sure exactly when (but either Sept this year or May 2005 seem favourite) following some of the North Sea cycle route.

Plenty of ideas from the Locations Directory but i'd like to hear of anyones experience of the area .... Good or bad.

So ..... when is the best time of year ? ... May or September ?, (but not winter cos i'll be in a tent !) ......

Good birds to look out for ? ... etc

Or anything else, any comments appreciated.

Great birding!

Carlos GY said:
Anyone have experience of birding in Denmark and / or the west coast of Sweden ?

I'm planning a cycling / birding tour (10 - 14 days), not sure exactly when (but either Sept this year or May 2005 seem favourite) following some of the North Sea cycle route.

Plenty of ideas from the Locations Directory but i'd like to hear of anyones experience of the area .... Good or bad.

So ..... when is the best time of year ? ... May or September ?, (but not winter cos i'll be in a tent !) ......

Good birds to look out for ? ... etc

Or anything else, any comments appreciated.

Hi, Carlos!

The Westcoast of Sweden have plenty of good spots worth visiting on such a journey. First, my advise is to start in the town of Varberg an go south. A good stay at Getterön (in Varberg) is a must do. There you can visit the top of the peninsula and look for migrating seabirds - or visit the reserve "Naturcentrat" and note whatever comes your way.

From Getterön you can go south - and actually watch birds all the way down to the uttermost south (Skåne). I could tell you about Rödskär, Gamla köpestad, Glommen, Morups tånge, Mellby strand, Hovs hallar, Skälderviken, Kullen and so on (from N to S) but it would just take too much space. But all the way there is terrific birding!

I hope that you will have a great time in Scandinavia!

Nic

Thanks Nic, by pure chance i also found Skane Tourist Information website today.

Looks rather promising ...

For Denmark check out Eurobirding:

http://www.eurobirding.com/triprepo...on&se=on&no=on&dk=on&fi=on&nl=on&it=on&page=1

Especially the ones by David B. Collinge (they are in English. I presume you don't understand Danish). If I get the time I will return and write some more extensive (and totally updated) notes regarding some of the Danish sites. However, I am rather busy at this point, so it all depends on time. In any case, I'll wish you a great trip :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back