• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuban customs and camera gear (1 Viewer)

A-C

Hi. Has anyone on here experienced, or know of somebody who has, problems with customs if you take a large lens, in my case a 300 f2.8, on holiday there. Hoping to have a couple of weeks on cayo coca in October and I have heard that I may have a problem.

Hi. Has anyone on here experienced, or know of somebody who has, problems with customs if you take a large lens, in my case a 300 f2.8, on holiday there. Hoping to have a couple of weeks on cayo coca in October and I have heard that I may have a problem.

Hi AC

First visited Cayo Coco in 2008 with the same lens, not a happy experience at the time as we were pulled aside and questioned about my lens and possible distance of , my wife was extremely nervous and vowed never to go back with THAT LENS.

However happy years spent from 2008- 2014 with THAT LENS and wonderful photo opportunities ( see opus Tody )in and around Melia Cayo Coco mostly in March for North American migrants.

So no problems with customs after first year so enjoy the island and its birds.

Hi AC

First visited Cayo Coco in 2008 with the same lens, not a happy experience at the time as we were pulled aside and questioned about my lens and possible distance of , my wife was extremely nervous and vowed never to go back with THAT LENS.

However happy years spent from 2008- 2014 with THAT LENS and wonderful photo opportunities ( see opus Tody )in and around Melia Cayo Coco mostly in March for North American migrants

So no problems with customs after first year so enjoy the island and its birds.

Thanks Jackbro.
That's put my mind at rest. We are looking to stay at the Melia and hoping to bring back some decent photos

Camara Equipment

Hi, you should have no problems at customs, pretty much all my clients bring big cameras and lenses, sometimes they even bring 500mm, but 90% of the time 100-400mm so you should be ok with your 300mm.

What you should avoid is to bring more than 2 bodies, or 2 lenses etc, 2 is the maximum for equipment.

Best

Thanks Arturo. Just got back from Cuba today. No problems at customs at all. Very straightforward. Glad I took it. Got some fantastic shots, most of them in and around the hotel on Cayo coco. It's a beautiful area and great for bird watching / photography. Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back