• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A cricket and 2 caterpillars for id please, UK (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
In the Falmouth area in the last few days.

1st caterpillar was on dock, 2nd on Alder, size maybe 1" and 2" respectively

Any ideas?

Cheers, Dan

Attachments

• cricket.jpg
    cricket.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 56
  • dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 48
  • alder.jpg
    alder.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 51
Hi Dan, I saw 2 Caterpillers just like No 3 in the Wyre Forest today, and could not identify them. I was going to post a description and request an ID, but you've done it for me. So I'm eager for a reply too.
Jackie

The cricket is Dark Bush-cricket (Pholidoptera grisoaptera).

The 2nd caterpillar is Pale Tussock (Calliteara pudibunda).

The cricket is Dark Bush-cricket (Pholidoptera grisoaptera).

The 2nd caterpillar is Pale Tussock (Calliteara pudibunda).

Excellent, thankyou.

Despite moth trapping over the years, not recorded an adult. Possibly will next year though ... ?!

Hi Dan, I saw 2 Caterpillers just like No 3 in the Wyre Forest today, and could not identify them. I was going to post a description and request an ID, but you've done it for me. So I'm eager for a reply too.
Jackie

Glad to be of assistance ( ;) ). A striking beast in the field for sure!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back