• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl encounter (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

While waiting for some Long eared Owls to leave their thorny roost this afternoon, i heard a Mistle Thrush making a commotion nearby.
I asumed one of the Leo's had slipped out un-noticed......then the cause of the fuss became clear when a Little Owl shot past in front with the thrush following right on its tail !
The Little made for the safety of a large Elder Bush with the Mistley sat above still scolding it. The thrush quickly departed to where it had arrived from.....as masses of Fieldfare & Redwings were dropping down to roost.

I've never known Little to attract much attention, even when sat out in the open & this was certainly the first time i can remember one actively being mobbed by Mistle Thrush.........maybe the Owl had been mistaken as a threat to the MT's berry supply....?

After waiting another 10 mins the Leo's left their roost, 2 being seen well as they floated by & another 2 glimpsed as they dropped out of the roost & away.
It was only when i came to walk away thati realised how bitterly cold it had become!
SE.

Seems to have been a good day for Owls today. I got out of the car at Grafham Water as a Barn Owl flew overhead being persued by Crows!! As it had just started raining the poor fellow wasn't having a good morning!

I've only ever seen 1 Little Owl (pathetic I know) but all the Tits were ignoring him as he sat in his tree.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back