• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this GBH doing? (1 Viewer)

icassell

I saw this Great Blue Heron today in this pose -- what is he doing?

Thanks, Ian

Attachments

• IMG_8080-Edit.jpg
    IMG_8080-Edit.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 127
I haven't a clue what he's doing, but that pic begs for one of those cartoon dialogue balloons with whatever appropriate aphorism. He sure looks like he's giving the wife or one of the kids hell for how the nest was left....

Also where in heck down in that hot dry desert did you capture this?

GREAT picture.

Thanks! LOL. I do believe you may have something there!

There are some good water-bird places to shoot down here which I have recently discovered. In Gilbert (just outside of Phoenix) is a collection of 7 wastewater reclamation ponds which have been turned into a bird sanctuary. Over 200 species have been seen including all sorts of water birds (this morning alone I saw black necked stilts, avocets, great blue herons, great egrets, green heron, cormorants, ruddy ducks, black bellied whistling duck, coots, in addition to all the perchers, hummers, etc.).

http://www.riparianinstitute.org/birding.cfm

Good for you. I'd love to have a magnet like that around here!

I lived in Prescott back in the 70's, and was naturally down in Phoenix a number of times, but don't recollect hearing of Gilbert. Wish I had.

Last edited:
Thanks! I've googled a bit and can't find that much. There seems to be some disagreement. Some say it's a way they dry their feathers and some say it is just a way they sun themselves. Considering it was about 103 deg F here today when I took the picture, I can't imagine why he'd be trying to warm up (and there were more than a dozen other GBH's nearby who were not in this posture). His wings did not look wet. Maybe he is a yoga master?

and some say it's a digestion posture - our grey herons often do it here - though usually when it's warm.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back