• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fledgling cardinal (1 Viewer)

NecroGod

Hello,

A few days ago my girlfriend came across a girl playing with a nestling bird while waiting in line for ice cream (she was tossing it into the air and catching it). My girlfriend was able to procure the bird from the girl and she brought it home.

The bird has been doing fine for the past 3 days with feedings and development. It is now getting to the point it wants to perch on things (though clumsily), it is cleaning off its feathers for flight and it is pecking around.

My question is this: It is now gaping less and wants less to do with 'being fed'. At this point should insects be introduced for it to peck at? I anticipate it will be taking to flight attempts soon. Can anyone offer any advice on how to proceed with the birds development?

Thank you,

-NG

Hi NG I see this is your first post, so may I welcome you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

Before anyone could advise re the diet, we'd need to know which species we are dealing with. Is it possible you could upload a picture of it? However, we have some guidelines here. Good luck and let us know the outcome please.

D

Ooops sorry... I see it's a Cardinal species (forgot to read the post properly! Is it a Northern Cardinal? You'll find their diet on the link.

See if you can get a hold of some suet and break it into small pieces. That should help but it really needs to be brought to a rehabber. The obnoxious young girl was breaking a Federal Law on this bird. Thankfully your girlfriend rescued it but unfortunately she is not supposed to be caring for it either. Call you local vet and they will be able to tell you where to take it. Pat your girlfriend on the back for us.

The lack of education children have regarding respecting animals is infuriating. I can't imagine my sister or myself ever doing such a thing...that being said we have a vet as a father so that helps.

I'd second the rehabber search. Wilding a bird out isn't something to be taken lightly and there's a lot to look out for - best in the hands of a professional. But if you can't find one who has a vacancy do post again and I'll do my best to get some research done (I've never raised a cardinal). I'm happy to read of another person who cares. :)

We have a friend coming over who actually raises baby birds for a local pet shop. I believe they may also have connections to vets and perhaps rehabbers. I am also afraid this bird may be a 'runt', so hopefully she can shed some light on the state of the bird's health.

Great news! Make sure you hear "rehabber" as many shelters euthanize. I doubt you'll run into that issue though given she's a bird lover.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back