• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nanaimo Bird Alert (1 Viewer)

Neil Robins

The Nanaimo Bird Alert
provided by
The Backyard Wildbird and Nature Store

To report your sightings phone the Bird Alert at:
390-3029

This update is for Tuesday January 14, 2003

Monday, January 13:

An ANNNA’S HUMMINGBIRD and RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS were seen along Rock City Road in Nanaimo.

Sunday January 12:

PACIFIC and COMMON LOONS, HORNED GREBES, BALD EAGLES, GREATER SCAUP, COMMON GOLDENEYES, DOUBLE CRESTED and PELAGIC CORMORANTS were all seen on Nanoose Bay.

There were BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS feeding on the nearshore rock outcrops just east of the point at Neck Point, in Nanaimo. The SPOTTED SANDPIPER was sighted again at his usual winter spot at Sunset Beach. A PIED-BILLED GREBE diving for food in saltwater was an unusual sighting at Neck Point Park.

Saturday January 11:

At Yellow Point, near the Yellow Point Lodge two ROCK SANDPIPERS were seen with a group of BLACK TURNSTONES. They were feeding in the rockweed on a sandstone outcrop just offshore as the tide dropped.

A BARRED OWL was seen in the 2800 block of River Road in Chemainus.

Friday January 10:

A possibleTREE SWALLOW was reported at Neck Point Park in Nanaimo.

A SHARP-SHINNED HAWK was seen along Kells Road in Nanaimo.

Thursday January 09 :

An AMERICAN ROBIN with albino markings was seen in the Green lake area of Nanaimo.

A BEWICK’S WREN was seen feeding under a suet feeder in the 3000 block of Persimmon Place in Nanaimo.

Wednesday January 08:

Over 30 BALD EAGLES were seen at the Nanaimo River Estuary in south Nanaimo.

For further information on these sightings please call:

The Backyard Wildbird and Nature Store
@
(250) 390-3669
Toll Free @ 1-888-249-4145
e-mail [email protected]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Sunday Birders are going on a Seabird Tour from the Beachcomber Marina to the Little Qualicum River with Beachcomber's Excursions this Saturday, January 18.
Join us abroad the 41' M.V.Terry Wayne for six hours of birdwatching on the Strait of Georgia.The cost is $40.00 per person. Bring your own lunch. Beachcomber's Excursions will provide snacks and drinks for morning and afternoon
coffeetime. In the event of foul weather on the 18th we have Saturday, January 25 as an alternate date. If you are interested or have any questions please contact me by email or at (250) 756-4501.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good Birding!

Neil Robins
Nanaimo

Hi Nikon Boy,
I know its tough to be here, but I manage to struggle through each day! Its great to be on the Island, Great birding for sure.
Where do you live on the mainland?

Later
Neil

Hi again Neil,

I am in the Vancouver area. Not too many exotic birds here in the city. Back in the days, I went to high school at SLS when I was on the island.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back