• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with White Stork leg rings (1 Viewer)

NGilbert

Hi there,

I am a PhD student at the University of East Anglia. My research is looking at the differences in breeding success between migrant and non migrant White Storks on the Iberian Peninsula, particularly in Portugal. You may know increasing numbers of White Storks are choosing to over-winter in Iberia rather than migrate south to Africa (probably due to milder winters and abundant food from local rubbish tips). I am comparing the annual breeding productivity of migrant versus non migrants to try and understand the impact their migratory decisions may be having on the populations.

Last winter I carried out a month long census of over wintering birds in Portugal to read as many coloured leg identification rings as possible to identify the wintering birds. What I also hope to do is try and gain better confirmation of which birds migrated. What would really be helpful is to find people who may live or have been on holiday anywhere in Africa, or have seen birds migrating over Gibraltar, who read any White Stork leg rings. Would you be willing to submit to me any white stork ring records read between July 2011 and end of March 2012? I do hope so! I would need to know as much info as possible (hopefully date and location of sighting, ring identification number and ring colour) but simply the ring number is more than welcome!

Many thanks and best wishes,

Hi there,

I am a PhD student at the University of East Anglia. My research is looking at the differences in breeding success between migrant and non migrant White Storks on the Iberian Peninsula, particularly in Portugal. You may know increasing numbers of White Storks are choosing to over-winter in Iberia rather than migrate south to Africa (probably due to milder winters and abundant food from local rubbish tips). I am comparing the annual breeding productivity of migrant versus non migrants to try and understand the impact their migratory decisions may be having on the populations.

Last winter I carried out a month long census of over wintering birds in Portugal to read as many coloured leg identification rings as possible to identify the wintering birds. What I also hope to do is try and gain better confirmation of which birds migrated. What would really be helpful is to find people who may live or have been on holiday anywhere in Africa, or have seen birds migrating over Gibraltar, who read any White Stork leg rings. Would you be willing to submit to me any white stork ring records read between July 2011 and end of March 2012? I do hope so! I would need to know as much info as possible (hopefully date and location of sighting, ring identification number and ring colour) but simply the ring number is more than welcome!

Noted, and will look out for storks between now and the end of March, although I am unclear how one is supposed to read a ring number on a live bird. In good conditions it might be possible to photograph ring colour combinations if that would be useful.
Best wishes,
Dave

I will also keep an eye open for them, but our grass is very long at this time of the year so legs are not easy to see. As Dave says - hope the rings are colour coded!

Hi there,

NG,

Wouldn't it be better to link in with the white stork colour-ringing schemes that I guess are operating in Spain and Portugal? I certainly recorded colour-ringed storks on the Algarve coast in spring 1999 and submitted my observations to someone in Portugal, who then provided feedback. Hopefully, the organisers of the schemes will have a large amount of data which they could share with you to help you with your research.

Good luck with your work. It sounds very interesting. I'm sure that migrating to Africa and staying in Portugal both have their advantages and disadvantages for the storks.

Allen

Last edited:
Hi Dave and Sal,

Thank you for looking out for ringed birds for me. The PVC plastic rings are coloured and have a combination of from 3-8 numbers and letters printed on them, depending on the ringing scheme. These are generally above the knee and can be read with a telescope. The characters and ring colour will ID the bird and tell me which ringing scheme the birds belong to. Good luck!

NG,

Wouldn't it be better to link in with the white stork colour-ringing schemes that I guess are operating in Spain and Portugal? I certainly recorded colour-ringed storks on the Algarve coast in spring 1999 and submitted my observations to someone in Portugal, who then provided feedback. Hopefully, the organisers of the schemes will have a large amount of data which they could share with you to help you with your research.

Good luck with your work. It sounds very interesting. I'm sure that migrating to Africa and staying in Portugal have their advantages and disadvantages for the storks.

Allen

Hi Allen,

Thank you for your suggestion. I am working with ringing schemes and contacts in Spain and Portugal who have large data sets but ring recoveries from Africa are under reported. As I am particularly interested in the migrants I was hoping to up the number of birds I can confirm definitely migrated this winter. I am also hoping to use stable isotopes from feathers to confirm migratory status. However white storks dont moult systematically and tend to feed on internationally sourced foods on rubbish tips so this technique will only give me a vague indication of their wintering location.

N Gilbert

Hi Dave and Sal,

Thank you for looking out for ringed birds for me. The PVC plastic rings are coloured and have a combination of from 3-8 numbers and letters printed on them, depending on the ringing scheme. These are generally above the knee and can be read with a telescope. The characters and ring colour will ID the bird and tell me which ringing scheme the birds belong to. Good luck!

Hmmmnn. No scope . . . . Lets hope if I find any I get pretty close . . . .

Hi NG,

I presume that you are also interested in readings from birds in SPain as well as from those in Africa? If so I'll try and take a few readings the next time I go to the Lleida dump, where there are currently several hundred White Storks.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back