• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 1st 2013 - 88 species (1 Viewer)

robhope

A busy first day of the year trying to get to several West Sussex sites whilst the sun was out (at last):

Pulborough Brooks
The Burgh
Burton Mill Pond
Lavington Common
Selsey Bill
Pagham Harbour (Church Norton & North Wall)

88 species in total and several common ones dipped - if only there were more daylight hours...

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

That's a cracking total Rob:t:

Rich

Rich, I was pleased although could of probably had 3/4 more species with a second opinion (pretty sure I had grey wagtail and linnet flying close overhead but I am not too confident at calls so no tick).

But it would be boring if we got them all...

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Pretty much the same route I followed although did Fishbourne Creek in place of Pulborough. The Bitten flew in at Burton at 1630 on the dot....other goodies were Black Brant, Spotshank, Greenshank at Fishbourne; Peregrine taking a Wpig out in Pagham Harbour; Bonxie and all 3 divers at Selsey; Red Kite, Grey Partridge and Corn Bunts at the Burgh....93 for the day which was a bit of a wimp-out as I couldn't be arsed to walk up Ferry Lagoon to look for the avocets and beardies that were seen or go to West Dean. Missed easy ones too: Song Thrush (!), Cetti's, Linnet, Fieldfare, Canada Goose....!

I spent too much time at The Burgh looking for grey partridge and watching the red kites. Saw nothing at Lavington Common and only made it to North Wall as the light was fading - snipe flew overhead but no Cetti's calling, no Rock Pipit and no owls.

Was going to try for Hawfinch & Brambling at West Dean but needed to get to Selsey and Pagham with daylight. Couldn't see any avocets roosting near the VC or the usual kingfisher.

I have never tried Fishbourne Creek - maybe I will add it to the route in May.

robhope

Egret's, I've had a few

102 by doing the Farnborough area then nipping down to the coast for the afternoon. Route followed:

Farnborough Airfield, Greywell, Butter Wood, Yateley Common, Moor Green LNR, Sandhurst SF, Fleet Pond, North Camp Station, Fishbourne Creek, Selsey Bill, Church Norton, Pagham North Wall and finally The Burgh.

Birds of the day: Dartford Warbler, a Green Woodpecker that sat for photos from the car, 30 Waxwings, pearly white Mediterranean Gulls and a dusk Hen Harrier.

Miss of the day: probably Fieldfare.

John

I spent too much time at The Burgh looking for grey partridge and watching the red kites. Saw nothing at Lavington Common and only made it to North Wall as the light was fading - snipe flew overhead but no Cetti's calling, no Rock Pipit and no owls.

Was going to try for Hawfinch & Brambling at West Dean but needed to get to Selsey and Pagham with daylight. Couldn't see any avocets roosting near the VC or the usual kingfisher.

I have never tried Fishbourne Creek - maybe I will add it to the route in May.

robhope

Egret's, I've had a few

Hey Rob

Fishbourne Creek's good in winter as the tide rises: the only Little Stint left in Sussex during the winter is there and the other bits I saw. Also Green Sand is usual near the sewage works along with Chiffy.
By May, there ain't usually alot to see there

Ads

Hey Rob

Fishbourne Creek's good in winter as the tide rises: the only Little Stint left in Sussex during the winter is there and the other bits I saw. Also Green Sand is usual near the sewage works along with Chiffy.
By May, there ain't usually alot to see there

Ads

Its certainly no use at high tide at the moment: all I got was humans and dogs.

BTW I got 101, not 102: I wrote Knot down twice.

John

Next year might try a walk up to the gates at Thorney Island and drop in on Fishbourne Creek on the way back. Will have to drop a site or two though.

Bit jealous of the three figure total by the way - have planned to brush up on songs/calls this year.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Next year might try a walk up to the gates at Thorney Island and drop in on Fishbourne Creek on the way back. Will have to drop a site or two though.

Bit jealous of the three figure total by the way - have planned to brush up on songs/calls this year.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

It takes a bit of planning but the weather is key. Fine day = good chance, wet day = no hope. Tuesday was fabulous, felt like a decent April day!

Of course not limiting myself to one county helps as well.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back