• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help in identifying (1 Viewer)

kidlat

Hello, avid aviaphiles,

There is this bird that I have recently spotted in our neighbourhood (a suburb just outside Manila) and I would love to know what kind it is. My theory is it's a kind of house martin, but I'm not sure. I've checked all the bird websites I could find and could not find any specie that's like it.

The photo I took of the bird is attached.

The body is about 5-6 inches long and the tail is about 4 inches. It has a black round helmet-like head, black back, wings and tail. But its underside is pale whitish-yellow gradating to a light salmon-yellow hue. It makes a rapid-fire shrieking sound and is not very scared of strangers.

Hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks!

Kidlat

Attachments

• birdie.jpg
    birdie.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 135
Kidlat,
This is Lanius schach nasutus (Long-tailed Shrike). If you are interested in contacting like-minded people in Metro Manila contact me - weewilliewinkieus(at)yahoo.com.

Steve
Records Committee, WBCP
based in Metro Manila

On Shrike

Hi Steve/cuckooroller!

This is Lanius schach nasutus (Long-tailed Shrike).

[/QUOTE]Are you sure it's a shrike? Their beaks don't seem to be the same. My mystery bird seems to have a shorter beak than a shrike's. But I'll look more closely. Thanks for the quick reply.

If you are interested in contacting like-minded people in Metro Manila contact me - weewilliewinkieus(at)yahoo.com.

By like-minded you mean birdwatchers? Sure! I'm based in Alabang actually and it's a great bird haven! My email address is jigsj (at) yahoo dot com

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I got it. And I emailed you back. Molto grazie again for all your help!
Am now on a quest to photograph the pied fantail and the zebra dove. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back