• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 contemporary (1 Viewer)

That's exactly what I will do, MFA and then go out to use it, is that a problem? :)
As long as you do the MFA correctly there is nothing whatsoever wrong with doing it first. You may as well do it to begin with as doing it later - if the combo do not require any MF adjustments then that will show up when you do it anyway.

i think whats happening is the same as what happened to the tamron ,new and inexperienced users looking for more than is possible ,and not realising theres a learning curve .the comments " i got it yesterday did a quick MFA set up and then went out to use it " fill me with dread ,if it aint broke don't fix it ,one guy had the sense to comment it could be atmospherics over long distance causing a problem ,one which i now know full well IS most definitely a problem ,and or also camera shake as these shots are probably hand held at nearly 1000mm focal taking crop into the equation .i'm still learning with mine even after a month or more with it .but would i sell it the answer is no its a versatile all rounder thats worth taking time with
Another thing I noticed with that guys pics is that he used spot focus for all of them except the flyer. You have to be careful with spot focus, because of the smaller AF area you have to make sure that there is adequate contrast within the AF area. While spot focus is good at times, using as a default is very poor practice IMHO.
I agree about the Tamron - the first batch of pics all came out of Japan and were all very poor quality due to inexperience users and very poor light. The lens turned out far better than those early samples indicated - should be the same for the Siggy 150-600 C.
BTW his shutter speeds varied between 1/500 and 1/1250 sec (although several of the shots were not at the long end of the zoom). If anyone wants to show what a 600mm lens can do then the least they can do is use a tripod for the samples even if you do not intend to use one normally - that way you are eliminating camera shake.

Last edited:
i think whats happening is the same as what happened to the tamron ,new and inexperienced users looking for more than is possible ,and not realising theres a learning curve .the comments " i got it yesterday did a quick MFA set up and then went out to use it " fill me with dread ,if it aint broke don't fix it ,one guy had the sense to comment it could be atmospherics over long distance causing a problem ,one which i now know full well IS most definitely a problem ,and or also camera shake as these shots are probably hand held at nearly 1000mm focal taking crop into the equation .i'm still learning with mine even after a month or more with it .but would i sell it the answer is no its a versatile all rounder thats worth taking time with

I read a comment once from Canon that the majority of cameras sent back to them with focus issues weren't faulty.They'd had MFA adjustments done on them by inexperienced users.

Cheers.

Steve.:t:B :)

That will teach me jinxing it... Received it and it is clearly back focusing on the 550D which, of course, does not offer micro adjustment. So now I need to get a USB dock and calibrate it before I use it.

Calibrated it using the dock and took my usual shot of my testing target. The copu I got seems to be very sharp, open wide as sharp as the sport I had before and sharper than the Tamron I still have.
Very impressed. Also biuld quality is better than the Tamron, would say between the Tamron and the Sport.

All in all a bargain IMHO

Calibrated it using the dock and took my usual shot of my testing target. The copu I got seems to be very sharp, open wide as sharp as the sport I had before and sharper than the Tamron I still have.
Very impressed. Also biuld quality is better than the Tamron, would say between the Tamron and the Sport.

That's great news! Thanks for the update and comparisons! :)

That's good news, thanks for the feedback :t:

They are very impressive and show what this lens can do very well indeed. The Fred Miranda link was also very informative and IMO, this has to be the lens to go for under £1K. I wouldn't even consider the sport now after seeing these shots.
Well done you!

Yep, they look very promising I must say. It has to be remembered however that they were taken with a FF camera, a lot of crop Cameras are not so forgiving due to the smaller pixel sizes. So far so good.

I took mine with a 550D and I am happy with the results. I expect it to do even better with a full frame camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back