• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian Gull? (1 Viewer)

Reader

I am not the greatest at identifying the rarer Gulls so need help with this one please from the Birdforum Gull experts.

Is this a Caspian Gull?

Attachments

• Caspian Gull 4761.jpg
    Caspian Gull 4761.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Caspian Gull 4765a.jpg
    Caspian Gull 4765a.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 171
I hope you are both right. What has thrown me is the fact that a German ring Caspian has been on this site for the last two days. It left late morning and within minutes this bird turned up.

What's wrong with that? We'll its on a small pool in the middle of a housing estate called Stoke floods in Coventry where the locals feed the ducks on the grassy banks.

Nothing of note drops in there and yet it appears two Caspian's visited minutes apart. Oh!! Also a female Mandarin Duck as well. Certainly a mini purple patch for the site.

Does anyone else confirm it as a Caspian. If it is, what age (adult?)

I hope you are both right. What has thrown me is the fact that a German ring Caspian has been on this site for the last two days. It left late morning and within minutes this bird turned up.

What's wrong with that? We'll its on a small pool in the middle of a housing estate called Stoke floods in Coventry where the locals feed the ducks on the grassy banks.

Nothing of note drops in there and yet it appears two Caspian's visited minutes apart. Oh!! Also a female Mandarin Duck as well. Certainly a mini purple patch for the site.

Did you get any other shots? perhaps in flight too?

Although it looks quite promising I think you need a few more images to be 100% certain on this one, at a time when lots of Herring Gulls are gaining 'summer plumage' and hence look much more Caspian-like than they do in early winter.

Unfortunately I didn't. The bird was distant (heavily cropped images) and didn't move for the thirty plus minutes I was there.

Did you get any other shots? perhaps in flight too?

Although it looks quite promising I think you need a few more images to be 100% certain on this one, at a time when lots of Herring Gulls are gaining 'summer plumage' and hence look much more Caspian-like than they do in early winter.

From these images? I wouldn't stick my neck out too far. The German ringed bird (yellow Darvic 'XNDJ') that you refer to is now a 6cy; I had it in South Yorkshire in 2015.

RB

As I thought. I am not a Gull fan so find it hard to work some of them out. This being one of them.

From these images? I wouldn't stick my neck out too far. The German ringed bird (yellow Darvic 'XNDJ') that you refer to is now a 6cy; I had it in South Yorkshire in 2015.

RB

For me it is a typical (probably adult) Caspian Gull - at least phenotypical, long legs, slender bill, bulging breast, dark eye.
The problem is that there are a few mixed colonies in Eastern Germany and Poland (and elsewhere?) with Caspian, Herring and Yellow-legged Gulls that hybridize frequently. The offsprings can - as in most hybrids - look very close to either one of the parents or all forms of intermediate.

Last edited:
For me it is a typical (probably adult) Caspian Gull - at least phenotypical, long legs, slender bill, bulging breast, dark eye.
The problem is that there are a few mixed colonies in Eastern Germany and Poland (and elsewhere?) with Caspian, Herring and Yellow-legged Gulls that hybridize frequently. The offsprings can - as in most hybrids - look very close to either one of the parents or all forms of intermediate.

That's enough for me, lump all Gulls now!

A

Thanks guys.

I went over there again today and as I arrived the bird was in front of me on the grass. I managed one photo then it took off as a dog walker came by.

Attachments

• Caspian Gull 4766.jpg
    Caspian Gull 4766.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 85
Still a Caspian Gull ;)... for me in adults the more olive-yellow (Caspian) compared to yellow (Herring) bill often is the first pointer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back