• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car Mounts for a 500mm lens (1 Viewer)

Austin Thomas

Hello,

Has anybody any experience using a Car Mount for a 500mm lens?

Andy Rouse suggests a Finnish Ergo-rest but it looks a little light weight to me.

If you have any experience of this or other solutions I'd appreciate to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks

Austin

Austin Thomas said:
Hello,

Andy Rouse suggests a Finnish Ergo-rest but it looks a little light weight to me.

If you have any experience of this or other solutions I'd appreciate to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks

Austin
Hi Austin,
I always use a wildlife watching supplies double bean bag when shooting from the car. Quick to use & less fiddly.
Regards Rob.

Austin i have Ergo-rest and consider this to be far to light weight for a 500,I use a 1KG been bag from wildlife watching suppies with a 400 5.6 so think Rob is correct a larger bean bag or the double bean bagwould be far more stable than the ergo-rest.

Thanks Graham, Thanks Rob,

My WWS double bag arrived in the post on Friday. All I need now is some rice and a little bit of light. It's gone very cloudy here after a fantastic bright start to the day.

Thanks again,
Austin

Rob Chace said:
Hi Austin,
I always use a wildlife watching supplies double bean bag when shooting from the car. Quick to use & less fiddly.
Regards Rob.

Austin, I too use as double bean bag from WWS and always leave it behind my seat in car. You will find that you may need several kilos of rice to fill it.

Austin Thomas said:
Hello,

Many thanks

Austin

To use an Ergo-rest you really have to mount a good quality ballhead on top of it. As such, it will work fine. HOWEVER, the problem then is that the camera is likely going to be too high up for convenience. I second the suggestion that you instead use a nice double-type bean bag. I have one made by Kirk Photo that I've used for years. I wouldn't be without it!!

I use a window pod made by Manfrotto for my spotting scope. Lots steadier than the bean bag (which I also used). The only other problem from shooting from a car is that the wind / or other pasengers don't rock the car.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back