• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds and Lighthouse sketch (1 Viewer)

I read the history of this light that was named after a shipwreck (the ship John) in 1797 on then unnamed shoals on our East Coast then drew this sketch. The birds I put in whith it are Canvasback that are North America the largest of our “bay ducks” they are in the class of “diving ducks” and very much like the pochard ducks” of Europe that I am sure some of you here see and paint where you live.

The canvasback duck I see every winter on the coastal bays, they will fly head-on into a full gale and its force will not turn them or even seem to slow them down much. Their flight is with a powerful fast wing-beat. In my minds-eye I see this flight going past this light station in adverse weather but with them they being very much use to it.

I did this sketch some time ago its one that an artist will just “think-on”. I know if I rework this drawing it will probably (and most likely) get stiff and will loose that what it has going for it. I should just call this one complete in my mind, and realize a “sketch” on paper or canvas of a bird in it’s environment is as elusive as the bird itself.

As other artist how do you all know when to stop on a piece you are working on so that it will not have a “over-worked” appearance to it? I guess, as an artist just knowing how easy it is to do is part of it.

`Greg

Attachments

• 7425.jpg
    7425.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 211
WOW!

Greg, thanks for sharing that sketch. It sure looks finished to me. I hope that you can post more of your work with birds in it. What a treat!

Ron

great sketch, if you add more to it, it will get overworked, however, nothing is stopping you doing a different version on another bit of paper. A lot of movement here, great stuff.

Great drawing Greg...the canvasbacks are superb and I love the way you've shared the story behind the work.

Not sure what anyone else does but once I reach a point where I'm asking the 'is it finished' question I usually put the work aside for a few days and then go back to see if I'm happy with it...

Then I'll tinker only if I know it's necessary - otherwise it's a done deal!

Hi Greg, bit late saying welcome but welcome anyhow!

That's a really nice drawing with a great storybook character to it. When you think it's finished, then, nine times out of ten, it is! I'm way too guilty of carrying on when I should stop!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back