• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some bird sketches with pencil (2 Viewers)

Russ Jones

Here is a pair of eastern screech owls I drew up a couple of months ago with coloured pencil. I always wanted to get a photograph of both colour phases in one frame and could never manage to pull it off so I drew them instead ;)

Cheers!

Russ

Attachments

• screech owls reduced.jpg
    screech owls reduced.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 234
Beautiful drawing--thanks for posting it. Screech Owls—the western species here—are uncommon in western Nevada & I seldom see them.

nice way to solve the problem, I've never seen these in the wild, but have worked from some captive ones at a local bird rescue.....amazing little critters.....nice work

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone :) Here is another I have just finished tonight, a pair of red-bellied woodpeckers also done in coloured pencil.

Cheers!

Russ

Attachments

• rbwoopeckers.jpg
    rbwoopeckers.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 175
lovely work, it's unusual to put a big black hole in the middle of your drawing, but this works well somehow here. Do the screech owls nest in old woodpecker holes? I seem to remember reading it,or maybe I'm mixed up on that.

Don't know how I missed these super drawings Russ. I love the owls especially, but then I've a soft spot for owls of all kinds, they're just so fantastic to paint and draw.

Mike

Really nice work Russ. Great solution for getting both color morphs together. Much more efficient than waiting with a camera! Thanks for posting it.

lovely work, it's unusual to put a big black hole in the middle of your drawing, but this works well somehow here. Do the screech owls nest in old woodpecker holes? I seem to remember reading it,or maybe I'm mixed up on that.

Thanks colleen. I agree witht he big black hole thing, I think if you make it black enough though it can be a striking addition ;) Indeed screech owls will use old woopecker holes, boxed or other suitable cavities for nesting.

Woody, I agree. Owls certainly are handsome creatures and that look transfers very nicely to paper!

mosca, thanks for the comment. Most of my stuff has the same light feel to it, I am an impatient person and by keeping it light I can get my picture drawn faster 8-P... I'm not kidding! I use a brand of pencil called PRANG, they really work well for this style of art.

thanks for the kind words Larry and Dave.

Here's a white throated sparrow I did a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• White throated Sparrow reduced.jpg
    White throated Sparrow reduced.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 184
Here's a few more pics I have just re scanned. Most of these were done a few years ago, the blue jay was more recent. (I might have posted the blue jay before, I dont remeber now)

Cheers!

Russ

Attachments

• bc chickadee reduced.jpg
    bc chickadee reduced.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Blue Jay reduced.jpg
    Blue Jay reduced.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IBWO reduced.jpg
    IBWO reduced.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 87
  • prothonotary reduced.jpg
    prothonotary reduced.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 124
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back