• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Birds,Butterflies and Dragons Around Algorfa,Spain. (1 Viewer)

bellow

At last I have time to give you a report on my Trip to Spain.I stayed in Algorfa nr. Alicante and the trip was great!!!.I booked an apartment ( www.ALGORFASPAIN.CO.UK)because the balcony overlooks some orange groves and the species spotted from there is unreal.I visited El Hondo,Le Mata de Torreveije,Santa Pola Salt Marsh,Le Pedrere,La Finca Golf Course,Rio Segura Camino,San Miguel De Salinas,and Torreveije Beach.I,m Including a few Butterflies and Dragonflies which were a bit thin on the ground due to the unusually cool wind that kept them absent for a few days.My day started at 7.30am when I made a cup of tea and slipped out onto the balcony.Every morning I was greeted by a Nightingale singing and it wasn,t long before he showed himself. After an hour the missus got up and joined me with some breakfast and we planned are day.This is my list of species seen and Identified.
Balcony of the apartment.
House Martin,Swallow,Egret,Serin,Blkbird,Starling,Nightingale,House Sparrow Collared Dove,Grt.Grey Shrike,Blk Winged Stilt,Crested Lark,Kestrel,Red Legged Partridge,Bee Eater,White Wagtail,Woodchat Shrike,Stone Curlew*,Spotless Starling,Hoopoe,Stock Dove,Goldfinch,Cuckoo,Grt Tit,Chaffinch,Hobby,Green Sandpiper Long Tailed Tit and on the last morning a Wheatear.
El Hondo Nature Reserve.
Woodpigeon,Red Rumped Swallow,Eygptian Goose,Fan Tailed Warbler,Green Woodpecker,Swift,Montagues Harrier,Marsh Harrier,Blk Necked Grebe,Grt Crested Grebe,Collared Pratincole,Red Crested Pochard,Stonechat,Dabchick,Hen Harrier,Squacco Heron,Purple Heron,White Headed Duck,Grey Heron,Coot Moorhen,Mallard,Lesser Kestrel,Blk. Tern,Blue Tit,Bittern,Cetti,s warbler,Carrion Crow,Roller,Med. Gull,Whinchat,White Stork,Shoveller.
La Mata De Torreveije.
Avocet,Sandwich Tern,Common Tern,Little Tern,Sandling,Dunlin,Kentih Plover,Audouin Gull,Cirl Bunting,Cormorant,Whithroat,Greenfinch,Spectacled Whitethroat*Spotted Flycatcher,Sparrowhawk,Slender Billed Gull*,Calandra Lark.
La Finca Golf Reservoir and Lake.
Kingfisher,Sardinian Warbler,Little Bittern,Turtle Dove,Jay,Little Ringed Plover,Pochard.
Santa Pola Salt Marsh.
Flamingo,Yellow Legged Gull,Shelduck,Yellwagtail,Common Sandpiper.
Rio Segura Camino.
Reed Warbler,Grt Reed Warbler,Meadow Pipit,Reed Bunting,Peacock?Where did that come from.
La Pedrera.
Blk Redstart.Other species seen but already covered.
Torreveije Beach,just 1 species,Turnstone.
I did see a few strange captive species at San Miguel Castillo,Mute Swan,Moscovy Duck,Aylesbury Duckand Grey Lag.
Dragons & Butterflies.
Long Skimmer(Male)*Vagrant Emperor(Male)*Violet Dropwing (Fem)*,Broad Scarlet(Fem)*Small Red Eyed Damsel(M&F)*Swallowtail,Speckled Wood,Spanish Gatekeeper,Common Blue, Spanish Marbled White.
* this denotes new species to me.As you can see my 2wks holiday was wonderful.I have to thank english Jon for helping me i.d the Spectacled Whitethroat,a cracking little bird.

Don,t forget if you want a magic Birding,Butterfly and Dragons holiday check ALGORFASPAIN.CO.UK on the website, it was "brill"
Roly.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back