• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird visiting my garden - what is it??? (1 Viewer)

Given that almost all mobile phones these days have a camera which would at least capture a good record shot, no reason why we can't expect to see a photo sooner rather than later ... ;)

OK, playing the game still, given as how size is often misjudged, I'm surprised no one has yet suggested a partially albinistic female Blackbird. Probably more likely than anything else yet suggested...?

If anyone is still interested its back again!

Still trying to get a photo, had a sparrow hawk for a few weeks so not a lot of birdies!

Now got waxwings as well.

Don't worry if its poor quality or not even some of the worst quality images on the forum have been successfully IDed by the expert so any pics would be greatly appreciated. ANYTHING!

I wonder that those photos are still present? It doesn´t seem that they are yours.

Of course they are his.

Or are you implying that they aren't, and have been used without the owner's permission? The general birding community would be very unhappy to hear that a birder had committed a misdemeanor of this grave nature. I'm sure that JSB is beyond reproach in this case.

I wonder that those photos are still present? It doesn´t seem that they are yours.

This is the second time I've seen you post something like this where it clearly isn't justified. He didn't claim they were his pictures, nor are they high-resolution copies of sellable pictures, so who cares?

Of course they are his.

Or are you implying that they aren't, and have been used without the owner's permission? The general birding community would be very unhappy to hear that a birder had committed a misdemeanor of this grave nature. I'm sure that JSB is beyond reproach in this case.

I admit I didn't ask permission to use these images, even though they were freely available on the internet and had no restrictions.

To explain to others, there've been a couple of cases on the rare birds forum where I've challenged questionable behaviour by birders: the result is the odd jibe such as the above.

Earlier this year a potential new bird for the UK was trapped. A feather was used to get DNA evidence for an ID. I was a tad sceptical that the bird lost the feather by accident, so I wrote to the BTO. It turned out that the ringer had pulled out the feather, having been urged to do so by twitchers at the scene. He didn't have a licence to do this and my suspicions were vindicated. He was reprimanded but didn't lose his job.

On another occasion, people from one of the bird information services trespassed at a site in order to see a rarity. Since they're the people who put out messages telling twitchers how to behave (like where to park and where not to walk), I contacted the MD of the service, who was profusely apologetic to the RSPB, who owned the reserve. Again, reprimands were issued but no-one lost their job.

Since these incidents, small numbers of people have labelled me as a "grass" and enjoy a jibe. Many more people agree with me that some extreme examples of bad behaviour in the birding community need challenging, since we don't want to be tarred with the same brush.

Meanwhile, back to this bird - whatever it might turn out to be.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back