• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why Does it Happen This Way? (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

Walking to part of my local patch today I saw a song thrush in the lane about 50-60 yards from home. I was quite surprised as I never see them there, and certainly never in my garden. Feeling quite pleased I continued. On the path next to the stream I saw a gent wearing binoculars staring at the trees. It turns out he has been watching that patch for over 20 years and has seen over 120 species there. I told him I had seen a thrush for once and he said that they are always there. After a brief chat I went on. When I returned I saw a nuthatch at the spot he had been in, then a GS Woodpecker. I few yards further on a willow tree was alive with a flock of LT Tits. Next came a Jay, loads of blackbirds and then half a dozen or more thrushes. How come I've never seen them there before?

I have now found out there is a water rail in a marsh area and that artificial otter hides have recently been installed due to sightings. What chance tomorrow, especially as it's my birthday!?

Rob

Must have been a nice discovery, Rob. Don't know how long you've been doing this, but I think a lot of the art with patch work is knowing exactly where to look and at what time(s) of day. During my non-birding period I used to live next to a park and could never understand why it was so completely birdless. Then I got back into birding and decided to pay it a dawn visit. I never looked back! It was teeming with the things. It never turned up anything amazingly unusual, but it was great fun learning which trees/bushes to concentrate on, where were the best spots to stand patiently, etc.

With the weather that's forecast for Wales & the SW tomorrow you might just need to take a lifeline and lifebelt!

Well, I did not get a water rail for my birthday, but I did see Grey Wagtail and Chiffchaff. At least I believe it was a chiffchaff, a small bird, definitely a warbler, buff underneath, brown on top, black legs, pale eyebrow not too striking, dark line through eye. Hopped around in a tree for quite a while after I was drawn to blue and long-tailed tits in the same and neighbouring trees.

Happy Birthday for Yesterday Rob,
Unlucky with the Rail, I'm sure it'll show for you sometime over the winter, they can be real skulkers, best located by their call.
I've been watching the same area for about ten years now and am continously suprised at what turns up unexpectedly.
p.s. Yeah, sounds like a Chiff Chaff.

Sorry you never got the birthday special, but better luck soon, happy birthday for yesterday and good luck in the future, hope you see the rail soon, and hopefully even more specials! I have been studying my local patch for a couple of years now, and broadened my horizon to sea birds in the last month, so have some fun and enjoy!

Maybe they were seasonal visits, or maybe they all gather there at certain times of the day and you just were not there at the right time.
BTW, Happy belated birthday!

All,

Many thanks for your best wishes. I've had a good couple of days really. I have been off work all this week, half term, and have managed a walk through my local patch every day. The area I submit my returns to the BTO for has now grown to 31 species in a month and a half. Today I saw both thrushes there for the first time. Having been frustrated by watching flocks of 'thrushes' fly over unidentified, the sky for once was exactly right and from the wing patches I was able to identify mistle thrush. Had earlier found two song thrushes skulking in some bushes.

The raptors seem to have disappeared for the time being though.

As I walked home I met my neighbours and just as I left them saw a kingfisher flying over the roadway bridge to the pool on the other side.

Hopefully more walks for the rest of this week, with an RSPB group walk in a new area on Sunday for which I have high hopes. Might even see my ma-in-law on her broomstick!!

Rob

PS I view the water rail as a long-term project, just to hear one locally will be a boon.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back