• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm new to binoculars, which binocular size should I look for? (1 Viewer)

Punchy71

Greetings,
I am a new birder. I have a pair of binoculars that I use for general, all-around birding, but I find they are kind of hard to use because they are hard to hold steady due to their higher power optics. They are 10x50. So I have been considering possibly switching to a lower powered pair and was looking for suggestions on a more birding friendly specification to use. Should I step down to a 7, 8 or 9 power? What about objective lense size? Too small and not enough light comes in making a dim view. However I also know that smaller lenses makes for a more compact and lighter pair of binoculars and thus easier and more convienant to use. So everything is a bit of a trade-off.

Thanks

If you are carrying them about then 8x32 is about optimum. If you do a lot of birding at dawn and dusk then go up to 8x42. Some folk would argue that 7x is better as you don't really notice the drop in mag but you do notice the extra brightness and FOV. But there are many fewer 7x to choose from than 8x.

In general, 8x42 is the most recommended configuration you will find - although some people swear by 8x32s(I am able to notice a steep difference at dawn, dusk, and when under canopy cover between 42 and 32mm objective lenses) and others are 7x devotees (a magnification I too like but as mentioned above, few models are offered).

I used a pair of 10x50 porros for some time when birding for shorebirds and waterfowl. Typically they will have poor fields of view and close focus, and so are not well suited for songbirds and other rapidly moving birds. But, I do like that configuration quite a bit as I found it easy to hold steady and providing both the crispness and brightness needed to identify less active birds farther from myself.

Hope this helps,
Justin

As for magnification -- I would recommend starting off with an 8x. Once you have experience, you can decide if you need more or less magnification. 8x is a very good "all-round" size.

As for the size -- it depends on several things. If you can afford a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, then you would have something that is easy to hold but not heavy, and affords a bright enough view for just about anything you would want to do. After using these, I hardly ever use my 7 & 8x42's, as there just isn't enough brightness difference to make a difference. OTOH, if your budget will only allow a bino that does not have as good a lens coatings as the Zeiss, then you might look at one of many 8x36 and 8x42's out there, the potential suggestions of which depends on your budget.

Also take into consideration where you will be using your binos. If you are in brightly-lit areas, then an 8x with a 30 or 32mm objective is plenty. If you will be under the jungle canopy or viewing a lot when the sun is still below the horizon, then you might do better with a 40 or 42mm.

The readership could provide some great suggestions, if you are willing to let us know under what conditions you anticipate using a bino, and what your price range is........

Do 10x50 binoculars like the ones I own have any use in the birding world at all?

Yes, but only you can judge if they are right for your needs. My most used pairs happen to be 7x36, 12x50 and 10x56 but I wouldn't suggest those would particularly suite anyone else.

David

Do 10x50 binoculars like the ones I own have any use in the birding world at all?

Sure, like others have said though, only you know if they fit you. My most used are a pair of 6X, followed by 8X and then 10X. Like jremmons said, they have their place.

Punchy, one great way to narrow things down is by pondering
what you will do on your 'mission'.

I collect all kinds of sizes, and I've developed preferences
depending on what my outing will be.

6x30: Very handy for birds flitting around in the yard or
in dense woods. They are close by, so 6x works, but
6x also gives you more field depth so you can track critters
without refocusing as much. 6x also makes 30mm plenty bright.

7x35: Good all-around binocs. I prefer the extra-wide field ones.
Good if you are new to an area and want to sweep around looking
for things.

8x30/8x32 : You are familiar with the scene, and it is further away.
Across the little pond, across a field, in the seashore, looking 4 yards
away on a fence (worked great today).

8x40: This is a popular birding binoc. Penetrates the shade easily
and reaches out a fair distance. Starting to get bulky, though.
10x42/10x50: Following birds of prey, windsurfers, etc.
As you noticed, can be shaky, are bulky. Try holding them
with your hands up front after focusing...that reduces 10x50 shake.

8x21: I love to haul these out at work walking or pulling over
with the car. Light hungry, but really small. The old wide-angles
are fantastic for scanning around.

When all is said and done, I would place 8x30 is my favorite
size, and then 6x30 because it is so easy on the eyes and
easy to track birds and critters around. The 8x30s appeal is
looking at your target in fine detail, though. After you had
issues with 10x50, I think 8x30 will be a great step for you.
Keep the 10x50s, though....great things for the right circumstance.

There was a famous birder whose name escapes me, but who someone else might remember that used 10x50s all his life. But he's the exception to the rule. 10x50s are more typical for stargazing since they are the highest magnification most people can hold and the 50mm aperture soaks in more light but unless it's supermassive like a Fuji 10x50 Polaris, also manageable weight wise for stargazing where you are usually seated or lying in a reclining chair.

Most birders are mobile. They don't sit in one place all day waiting for birds to come to them, they go to the birds, so you want a bin that's not going to become an albatross around your neck and drive you to a chiropractor appointment, but with enough aperture for your situation.

Not sure where in the Midwest you are, but if you have a lot of sunny days and don't do a lot of birding in the winter, an 8x30 or 8x32 should suffice for general birding. If your skies are often overcast and you do bird a lot in the winter, then an 8x42 would suit you better.

Then your choices break down to porro binoculars or roof prism binoculars. There are some waterproof porros (they give a better 3-D view than roof prism binoculars, fit my large hands better, too), but generally, if waterproofing is a must, then buy a pair of roof prism binoculars.

Also, do you need to use glasses with binoculars? If so, then you need long ER binoculars, which are less common but there are some good choices in both price ranges.

Finally, how far down can you reach into your pocket to buy your first dedicated birding bin?

If you say $200 or under, go for a porro or an 8x32 Sightron Blue Sky II roof (see Frank D's thread below). If you say $300 and up, then you've opened yourself up to the wide world of roof prism binoculars.

I just saw Optic Nut's post above. A good primer in configuration choices.

Brock

Last edited:
Punchy,

I like the way Mono put it. But regarding 10x50, goodness yes it's useful, although most birders would consider it artillery. I use a 10x50 a lot, but don't worry about what I use, suit yourself. Get something smaller and lower powered. Life will be easier, and you'll have a smile on your face!

Ron

Last edited:
Hi Punchy71. You've already gotten a lot of good advice above. So I suppose there's a least a couple of questions for you.... how much do you want to spend, and, what is your usual viewing distance?

Depending on the brand, 8x42 are probably the best for all round birding, most are far lighter than 10x50 and there is little, or no, loss in magnification, light transmission or FOV in the field. I used 10x50 East German Zeiss for years and, although they were exceptional ( back then ) 8 hours in the field and you started to resemble Quasimodo. There is lots of advice around but the only way to make sure the binoculars are suited to you ( they are your eyes that have to look through them and your hands that have to hold them, afterall ) is to try as many as possible. I know it's more difficult in the States than in the UK as many people don't live near a dealer but you can always ask fellow birders for a quick look through theirs, just to try them out.

I guess it depends what you want to view and if you are walking around. I have many binoculars and use them for different things. I own Fujinon 16x70 FMTSX big heavy one (only use for astronomy and long range viewing tripod mounted), I also use a Leica 8x50 ba, an excellent astronomy binocular and my goto for that. The SwaroVision 10x42 love these excellent optics used for viewing birds of prey Hawks and Eagles. Vortex 8x42 Vipers and 8x42 Steiners great optics general birding around the house and sporting events. 8x30 Jena small and lightweight nice optics for camping and travel along with many others that I use for the same thing from Minox, Steiner and Minolta in a 10x25. I just got in my Zeiss 10x32 Victory FL's Wow this is a great binocular excellent optics, lightweight, rugged this will be my new goto travel bino. If cost is a factor there are many good porro or roof prism type binocular for under $500.00 from Nikon, Pentax, Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold and Celestron.

As someone who has been through the bins buying process a couple of times in the last year or less I thought I'd add my thoughts.

I had some cheap 8x42s (Barr & Stroud Skylines) that I was perfectly happy with but wanted a second pair so that both the missus and I had bins when out birding. I went bigger on both magnification & objective lens by getting some Olympus 10x50 porros - mistake. They are too heavy for using for prolonged periods. Even in hides where one can usually rest one's elbows, they are too weighty for regular use. But they still have a place in my optics collection - they are the pair I keep on the kitchen windowsill. After that I went for Bushnell Legends, 10x42 Ultra HD, that cost me about £200. And I love them to bits! A much better weight for regular use and a good quality bin (in my opinion).

The way I see it is I wanted bins I was happy to pay the price for, and for me the Bushnells were the best that fell into that price bracket. I wasn't prepared to pay Zeiss/Leica/Swarovski money because for the birding I do I don't think the optics are sufficiently improved to justify the additional cost. For example, Swarovskis may be better than my Bushnells but are they 6-8 times better? Because that's what they cost. I also don't want to be carrying a couple of grand's worth of glass round my neck when I go out because that feels like a lot of money to spend and I'd be worried about any sort of scratch on them. I don't want that worry when I am trying to spot birds and enjoy a nice day out.

There are plenty of decent bins at the lower price brackets. Are they as good as the Swarovskis etc? Of course not, but then the price reflects that. If you're new to bins I assume you're also relatively new to birding (as am I really) so do you need the very best glass? I wanted a good size objective lens to capture as much light as possible. I also wanted a good magnification so I can get closer without actually physically being closer. Hence the 10x42 Bushnells. This compromises on FOV, exit pupil and things compared to other models but for me it was the right choice. I find 32s and 25s too compact as I like a bin to feel right in my hand, and they just don't. But it's horses for courses, as they say. Find a pair that suits you (and your budget) and go with it, even if they're not alpha brand. There can be some optics snobbery but for me the best bins will always be the pair you've got and are happy to use every day - for me that's my Bushnells. I can sling them in a backpack and at the cost if they get bashed about a bit that's OK. I honestly think I would be too scared to buy (and use) anything much more expensive than that.

As someone who has been through the bins buying process a couple of times in the last year or less I thought I'd add my thoughts.

I had some cheap 8x42s (Barr & Stroud Skylines) that I was perfectly happy with but wanted a second pair so that both the missus and I had bins when out birding. I went bigger on both magnification & objective lens by getting some Olympus 10x50 porros - mistake. They are too heavy for using for prolonged periods. Even in hides where one can usually rest one's elbows, they are too weighty for regular use. But they still have a place in my optics collection - they are the pair I keep on the kitchen windowsill. After that I went for Bushnell Legends, 10x42 Ultra HD, that cost me about £200. And I love them to bits! A much better weight for regular use and a good quality bin (in my opinion).

The way I see it is I wanted bins I was happy to pay the price for, and for me the Bushnells were the best that fell into that price bracket. I wasn't prepared to pay Zeiss/Leica/Swarovski money because for the birding I do I don't think the optics are sufficiently improved to justify the additional cost. For example, Swarovskis may be better than my Bushnells but are they 6-8 times better? Because that's what they cost. I also don't want to be carrying a couple of grand's worth of glass round my neck when I go out because that feels like a lot of money to spend and I'd be worried about any sort of scratch on them. I don't want that worry when I am trying to spot birds and enjoy a nice day out.

There are plenty of decent bins at the lower price brackets. Are they as good as the Swarovskis etc? Of course not, but then the price reflects that. If you're new to bins I assume you're also relatively new to birding (as am I really) so do you need the very best glass? I wanted a good size objective lens to capture as much light as possible. I also wanted a good magnification so I can get closer without actually physically being closer. Hence the 10x42 Bushnells. This compromises on FOV, exit pupil and things compared to other models but for me it was the right choice. I find 32s and 25s too compact as I like a bin to feel right in my hand, and they just don't. But it's horses for courses, as they say. Find a pair that suits you (and your budget) and go with it, even if they're not alpha brand. There can be some optics snobbery but for me the best bins will always be the pair you've got and are happy to use every day - for me that's my Bushnells. I can sling them in a backpack and at the cost if they get bashed about a bit that's OK. I honestly think I would be too scared to buy (and use) anything much more expensive than that.

Love them to bits but don't break them into bits, because I don't think Bushnell's warranty covers accidental damage. ;)

Never heard the phrase "horses for courses," apparently an Angloism, but after looking it up, it's good advice.

I agree with you about the 42mm fitting better in my hands with a roof. The Nikon 8x30 M7 and Swaro 8x32 EL are exceptions, the open space in between the barrels gives me a good grip unlike their closed bridge roof counterparts.

Like the Sightron 8x32 BS II, the Bushnell Utltra HD seems to be one of the few decent roofs in the $200+ price range with a wide FOV. You can buy Monarch 5s, Prostaff 7s, and even pricier entry-level roofs such as the Kowa BD, and they all have a moderate 6.3-6.5* FOV in the 8x42 model. Some have 6* in the 10x42 model, which gives you a more comfortable apparent field of view (doesn't feel like you're looking through a straw).

If I birded in open spaces or spent a lot of time looking at shorebirds, and I had steadier hands, I'd go for a 10x, particularly in the entry-level for their wider AFOV, but for a beginning birder, I wouldn't recommend a 10x bin due to the higher level of difficulty in using them. But I also wouldn't recommend an 8x with a narrowish FOV. Once you're experienced, it's a lot easier to find birds, but when you're starting out, you want as wide a FOV as possible so you don't pull your hair out looking for them.

During my transition from stargazing to birding, I briefly used a Nikon 12x50 SE for birding. I remember looking out the window in the late fall and seeing some Cedar Waxwings perched in the hedgerow in my backyard. I never saw that species before and thought they looked cool with their bandit masks, so I wanted to get a better look, but all I had was astronomy binoculars. With only 5* FOV and a pretty shallow DOF at 30 ft. I had a hard time finding them through the 12 SE.

They were only about 25 ft. away and there were about half a dozen of them, but I had to keep looking over the binocular to sight them and then looking though the binoculars to find them. Took a few minutes before I could get them in view even though they were practically right in front of me. I could find the Ring Nebula faster than those birds and that's 2,300 light years from Earth with the apparent size of a pinhead! I sold the 12x50 SE and bought an 8x32 SE and have been using an 8x32 SE for birding ever since. In heavily wooded areas, I feel the 7.5* FOV of the SE is too narrow and switch to my 8.8* FOV 8x30 EII.

I'm not sure if someone already mentioned a wide field of view as an important feature to look for, but if not, as a beginner that's something I think that Punchy should consider. The 8x42 Legend Ultra HD has a FOV of 8*, which is quite generous for that configuration, larger than any 8x42 alpha roof.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back