• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Mystery grey shrike on the isle of Man" (1 Viewer)

I think that is a little over-simplified Michael, but can't 'argue' from a position of knowledge (although I'm learning more about wing formulas all the time). Suffice to say you are the only person to say this. I have Emails from a person who has rung them in Kazhakstan and here's a quote from his latest communication:

"The pic showing the primaries is also very very useful. My interpretation of the primaries would be that seven primary tips are fully visible and the extreme (and worn) tip of the eighth is just visible too, and on both wings. This makes the wing point p3 (numbered ascendently). It's looking very good indeed for palidirostris, as far as I'm aware this is the only form which has the wing point at p3 as opposed to p4. I'd speculate that some (perhaps very few) homeyeri might show a similar wing formula to this though they obviously can't show the same secondary pattern as this bird."

I also have a series of video grabs of a Kazhakstani "Steppe" Grey Shrike that clearly show it to be dark-billed and dark-lored and very similar in primary projection length and overall colouration to the IOM "Southern" Grey Shrike.
A further quote from this person about the video grabs (which I'm not presently at liberty to publish) says:

"If your interested the precise location is the Taukum Sand which lie about 2/3 of the way between Almaty and the SW corner of Lake Balkhash. Only pallidirostris is thought to occur here."

I wouldn't be too keen to follow verbatim what the literature says, given what has come to light during mine and Manxman's investigations.

I think it is a very difficult ID to make, but whatever the outcome you "Manxmen" are very fortunate to have observed it for several days. A truly magnificent looking bird, and I wish that I could have seen it no matter what species it turns out to be.

Paul,

On behalf of the Moderators and admin, let me welcome you to Bird Forum.

I know you from seeing you at the Rutland Bird Fair last year, but you probably won't remember me. I sat in one of your talks on digiscoping.

I'm sure you already realise what an interesting place this is and we look forward to more of your expertise and help. Please also let us see more of your excellent photos.

ALL READERS OF THIS THREAD.

There is an article about to be published on the UK 400 Website by Lee Evans about this bird. I must clarify that apart from the opening paragraph, and allowing him to use some of our pictures, I have had nothing to do with this work of pure fantasy. I have asked my name and those of the other Manx birders mentioned to be removed as we do not wish to be associated with such a presumptuous, one-sided and innaccurate article.

Hi CJ,

What does Mr evans say then?? (not being a UK400 member, I don't have access to the website) Did he claim to find it for himself or something? Or that it is actually Chinese Grey Shrike?

!

Michael

What exactly is it about LGRE`s article that you guys object to so strongly?

I have just finished reading it and it would seem that content & conclusions are broadly in line with what have been discussed here.

I personally haven`t commented on the ID of the bird on this thread, mainly as at first glance I assumed it was a Northern Great-grey Shrike my expectation of Steppe GG-Shrike being based on classic 1st winters having pale bills and pale lores. If I`d found it I would never have questioned its identity beyond Northern Great-grey Shrike(doh!)

But essentially LGRE summarises current literature relating to GG Shrike ID and comments that the paler mantle, upperwing pattern and longer primaries are indicative of pallidostris while the dark bill & dark lores are more indicative of execubitor, having said that as discussed here observers familiar with pallidostris on its breeding grounds have observed many dark billed individuals. In conculsion he has the bird identified as a pallidostris, which I believe is the broadly accepted conclusion is it not?.

It's the lack of discussion in his article about the pitfall races in north Africa, middle-east and even India. This lack of discussion makes the i.d. of 'grey shrikes' seem straightforward. Which it isn't, as this thread has shown. Yes, it appears that many of Europe's leading birders agree with my i.d. of pallidirostris, it's just that LGRE's article oversimplifies matters.

A couple of shots from this evening. Not useful particualrly (although you can see the pale patch on the lores) - just nice images.

Attachments

• sgs24_06_032.jpg
    sgs24_06_032.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 239
As long as you found it Michael. I thought I'd point everyone on BF in the direction of the 'article', as so many of 'you' had been helpful in expressing your opinions. Thanks to all.

I think the error is because Netscape can't handle the space in the url so tries to find a page callled June not June BOM.

A very interesting site except for one thing. the picture captions were covering the pictures, blocking the views of the bird in most cases. Did anyone else experience this problem?

robinm said:
I think the error is because Netscape can't handle the space in the url so tries to find a page callled June not June BOM.
I can read the link with NS7 without any problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back