• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Sulphur is this? (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
Hello. After a while off the boards, with virtually no new year birds since my last post in the 2006 Year list thread (still near 70), I decided to start looking around for butterflies. Red Admirals, Cabbage Whites, an Eastern Comma, and a Monarch or two have shown up at my house.

Last year, during a visit to Cape May, NJ, I happened upon this butterfly pictured below. With what little butterflying experience I had at the time, I labeled it a Clouded Sulphur.

Now, 10 months later, I posted it to Flickr under my screenname Gthang1983. Just last night, someone commented positively on the photo, but also noted that the butterfly was, shall we say, off. The commenter noted that the butterfly did not have the row of dots on the underwing typical of a Clouded Sulphur. But the commenter also said that the dots could be there but they are too faint due to the sun shining on the butterfly. Thus, she said, her ID is Orange Sulphur.

For those that have FLICKR accounts, check out the photo in its various sizes here:
Clouded Sulphur from Gthang1983

For those that don't have a FLICKR account, see the full-size picture below:

Clouded Sulphur (Colias philodice)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back