• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mobile batting (1 Viewer)

I would say a soprano plus a pipistrellus sp. but hard to tell. I have no experience with myotis yet, so dont know how will they look like and if any of this could be one myotis.

I would say a soprano plus a pipistrellus sp. but hard to tell. I have no experience with myotis yet, so dont know how will they look like and if any of this could be one myotis.

The Myotis which I was able to identify were practically always Daubenton's. They are louder than the rest of the Myotis bunch, and easier to find. Have you tried to visit the "Lago de la Casa de Campo"?

About my recording: On second thought, the identification is pretty straightforward, and I wonder why I had such problems with it. If there is a sequence of ten calls and the last call strongly resembles a standard echolocation call of a Common pipistrelle, it seems just logical to work from the premise that all ten calls are from the same Common pip. And why not?

- the call distance of 70 ms fits just fine.
- I had recorded ONLY Common pips on that evening.
- There is nothing similar in the British "Social Calls ..." book, but Pfalzer (Inter- und intraspezifische Variabilität der Soziallaute heimischer Fledermausarten; 2002, available online) mentions a special form of social call which he had recorded only 25 times: "Type B" on p. 125f.. He describes this social call as "high-frequency", about 10 kHz above the usual echolocation calls of Common pipistrelle, and that these calls are usually integrated into a sequence of standard echolocation calls. There can appear a single of these high-frequency social calls, or two or three in a row.

This isn't exactly what I see in my recording, but it comes close. Maybe some Common pipistrelles show more enthusiasm in their social calls than others. ;)

The Myotis which I was able to identify were practically always Daubenton's. They are louder than the rest of the Myotis bunch, and easier to find. Have you tried to visit the "Lago de la Casa de Campo"?

No I havn't, and I don't think my wife would aprove it. Not the best place to be at night.

There is even a park inside Madrid with Nyctalus lasiopterus, but also not the best place after sunset.

Is not that this city isn't safe, but bats frequent strange places. ;)

By the way, where did you hear from Lago de la casa de Campo?

Last edited:
Serotine feeding buzz

The recording below probably qualifies as a Serotine feeding buzz. There is also a Noctule (or maybe two), but apparently the feeding buzz is the Serotine's.

Attachments

• Seotine feeding buzz.jpg
    Seotine feeding buzz.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 119
  • Serotine Feeding Buzz.wav
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back