• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minsmere Portrait of a Bird Reserve query. (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
I found a copy of the above book By Herbert Axell & Eric Hosking (1978 edition) in the local Oxfam bookshop in Dundee a few days ago. When flicking through it I noticed what appeared to be a hand-written message inside signed by Bert. "For Joan A good friend who shared the good old days. Bert". I tried to ascertain whether Bert was indeed Mr Axell which seems likely, but didn't get very far. A friend then informed me that his wife was actually called Joan (there is a printed dedication 2 pages further on to his wife, Joan).

I then went back to the book to try to see if the message is actually hand-written or if it is actually printed on. There is no heavy indentation on the thick paper so it may be printed, but I can't be certain.

So, to get to the point of this post... Can someone else with a copy of the book please tell me if the message pictured is also in theirs (ie. a standard printed addition)? If it isn't, does anyone have access to a signature to confirm whether it is indeed Bert Axell's, and lastly - if it is, and the Joan in the hand-written dedication isn't actually his wife then any suggestions who she may be?

(I'm now leaning towards the "writing" being a printed addition - largely because why would he sign a copy of the book for his wife?, which would render parts 2 & 3 of the question immaterial).

Attachments

• DOiEeioX4AAo5We.jpg
    DOiEeioX4AAo5We.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 49
I’ve got that book bought direct from the RSPB either in the 1970’s or 1980’s and the book had pen signatures by Herbert Axell and Eric Hosking, but not his wife. Whether his wife was called Joan, I don’t know.
Ian.

His wife was called Joan.

I'm trying to find out 3 things for sure.

Does anyone else's copy have the very same message (so I can tell whether it is hand-written, rather than printed).

Is the signature actually his (does it match with other instances?).

And thirdly, if the dedication is to a different Joan other than his wife, then I'm curious as to who she may be.

His wife was called Joan.

I'm trying to find out 3 things for sure.

Does anyone else's copy have the very same message (so I can tell whether it is hand-written, rather than printed).

Is the signature actually his (does it match with other instances?).

And thirdly, if the dedication is to a different Joan other than his wife, then I'm curious as to who she may be.

In my copy the signatures of Herbert Axcell and Eric Hoskins where hand-written. But previous to that I had a copy of that book from my local library where there where no hand written signatures. So I presume as I had my copy bought direct from the RSPB, I had those 2 signatures, but if bought from a book shop or other retailer there where no signatures of those 2 authors. I don’t have a Message in my copy.
Ian.

I've got the book, a first edition and that is blank on that page.

I also have another book by Bert - Of Birds and Men - and this has a hand-written message at the front of the book.

Gi

Does the signature "Bert" (even just the "ert" depending on how he's signed it) match mine? I think it is safe to assume that the signature is genuine after all, which just leaves the mystery as to who the Joan is that my copy was signed for (assuming it isn't his wife - which if it was would be a bit odd). I doubt I'll get to the bottom of that one for certain. Quite chuffed to get a signed copy for a few quid regardless.

I've got the book, a first edition and that is blank on that page.

I also have another book by Bert - Of Birds and Men - and this has a hand-written message at the front of the book.

Gi
I think it depended whether you bought that book from a retailer or direct from the RSPB as to whether you got a signed copy of that book or not, as I did buy that book direct from the RSPB and that was why my book was probably signed and just like you, my copy was a first edition and was bought within 2 weeks of that book been published.
Ian.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back