• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sick Bohemian waxwing in Semey, Kazakhstan (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Hi everyone,
I'm stationed for 10 months in Semey, which is in Kazakh Siberia.
Yesterday I found a first-winter Bohemian waxwing buried in snow. It was still alive. I took it to a vet, who professed that he didn't know anything about birds, and since he called it a hoopoe, I think he's right. He did ascertain that the bird had no broken limbs and no apparent reason not to be okay. He said it was just cold and hungry.

I don't know of any wildlife help organizations here, nor does anyone I know, and at any rate, even if it exists, I don't speak enough of the language to contact them.

I took the bird home and put it in a box with some water and some thawed raspberries I had. It didn't eat at all as far as I could tell, and I couldn't tell if it had drunk any water either. However, it did become more active and seemed alert. It pooped a few times. One of the stool was yellow; the other was brown and white. Urine seemed clear / white. It didn't huddle or ruffle its feathers up. Rather it seemed ready to fly. Given that it wasn't eating, I felt it needed to go out and feed (but no idea if there's anything for it to eat around!).

I kept it overnight in a warm room, as it was a bitterly cold night, and in the morning I opened the box outdoors. It didn't immediately fly out. However, when I reapproached the box to check on it, it flapped around a bit in panic. I tipped the box to help it out and it came out of its accord and flew into a nearby tree.

Sadly it has only been sitting there for the past hour or so. I can't get it down until it falls of its own accord. Any advice if it does? I know that nature sometimes takes its course, but I want to give this bird its best chance. It's -24 Celsius out right now (-11 F).

Thanks,
-S.

If you have or can get any Apples cut them in half and put out a couple of them in the tree. (Stick a branch end through them) It will probably feed on them if it's just hungry.

Malky

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back