• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Searching for a "Blue Sky" 10x50 (1 Viewer)

LeadLenses

Hi everyone. It's been a while, but I've been lurking, reading, and learning from this forum.

I did a search, but nothing too obvious or recent came up for a nice, affordable, roof prism 10x50 with a FOV wider than 5 degrees. No such product is on offer from Tract or Maven. GPO has one in their upper tier line, but the price is getting up there, though the quality may be high.

I currently own a Nikon E2 in 10x35 and an Aculon 10x50, so I have the porro option covered.

Let's set the upper price limit for this discussion at $679, as that is the price of the Snypex 10x50 Knight D-ED. I have no idea if those are any good or not, but beyond that price lies the Vortex Razor 10x50, which generally receives good reviews. At nearly $1000, it should!

Which 10x50 looks promising to you? How about the Hawke 10x50 Endurance ED for $225? What used model would you look for on the 'bay?

I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
Hi Lead,

Two that come to mind are the Leupold BX-4 and the Opticron Imagic BGA VHD. The Tract Toric is built on the same design as the Imagic 42mm models, so I'd expect the good things you hear about those models to carry over to the 10x50mm.

By the way I have not looked through these models, but I had a Leupold BX-3 8x42 that I liked well enough. Leupold's service is top of the line too, though I'm sure Opticron would serve you well too. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Leupold BX-4 looks nice, though the FOV is a little narrow. The Opticron also looks promising, the only issue it being at the upper limit of my price range. I really appreciate the Cabela's suggestion as I didn't think to check there. It checks all the boxes. It's in stock at my nearest Cabela's (1 hour away), so I'll check it out the next time I'm there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back