• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zealand - Milford Sound: Arctic Skua? Shearwater? (1 Viewer)

Anton-Jan

Hi there, today during the wonderful Milford Sound cruise I made some pictures of these birds.. couldn't clearly identify them. Can you help me?

Last 3 pictures are the same bird.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSC_3743-copy.jpg
    DSC_3743-copy.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_3763-copy.jpg
    DSC_3763-copy.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_3777-copy.jpg
    DSC_3777-copy.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_3780-copy.jpg
    DSC_3780-copy.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_3782-copy.jpg
    DSC_3782-copy.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 100
Haven't got my reference books to hand, but the last 3 are of one of the 'Great skua' group, .....a South Polar skua? First two look like shearwaters to me, possibly Huttons or Fluttering, but getting a positive ID on these I found hard even with excellent views!

You need one of our Antipodean pelagic experts here!

Great place to go birding though - we walked the Milford trail and then had a boat trip around the sound. One of my 'lifetime memories' for sure. Only the boat trip off Kaikoura was better.

The Skua is Arctic in my opinion. Bill and body are much too thin for one of the big species.
I don't know much about the Shearwaters around NZ, but Fluttering or Hutton's seem like good fits

Maffong

Fluttering Shearwater is by far the commonest species and it looks like one. Arctic Skua is also the default species and also looks good IMO

Thanks for your replies, have been without Wi-Fi since, explains the late reaction.. New Zealand is a nice place to see special birds :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back