• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 7 x 42 T* FL (1 Viewer)

stuartl

Hi Everyone

I currenty have a 7x 42 and need another pair of Binoculars to complement these, can anyone suggest anything which is either Zeiss or Nikon and would complement the above Ziess model.

many thanks for any guidance

Stuartl

Last edited:
Dear Stuart,
I don't understand what you mean. How does one binocular "complement" another?
I would have thought that you are very well served by what you are fortunate enough to own already. Why do you need another, you can only use one binocular at a time can you?
Having said that, I am a nut and own at least 40 binoculars, but at any time I only "need" one of them. The problem is, it is not always the same one that is not needed.
Back to the beginning I think!

Hi, I am chiming in on this post as I do think of some of my binoculars as complementing my favourite 7x42's. For instance, 8x20's, in an alpha grade, for just slipping in a pocket when I might not need binoculars or to go to a concert, 10x42's for longer distance viewing when the scope is left at home, and on and on.......... There about 8-10 binoculars (in my collection of 90+) that I really feel complement my basic favourite.
(BTW, John, I originally hail from Southwick, a short distance from you).
Cheers, John

Hello Stuartl,

I often try to carry a 7x42 Zeiss ClassiC along with a 10x32 FL. The seven provides a wide, stable view with plenty of depth of field. The ten allows for a closer look. In the winter, I spied a duck across a lake, with the seven, but felt confident that was a wood duck, when I used the ten. However, I could not observe for any extended period of time with a ten.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone great points, I must say I can't begin to compare with your Bin collections, mine is 1 so far

One last question if I may; is there much of a material difference between 10x32 Fl and the 10x42 Fl in terms of viewing distant birds say across a small lake ....

Thank you

Stuartl

Thanks everyone great points, I must say I can't begin to compare with your Bin collections, mine is 1 so far

One last question if I may; is there much of a material difference between 10x32 Fl and the 10x42 Fl in terms of viewing distant birds say across a small lake ....

Thank you

Stuartl
Hello Stuartl,

The 10x32 will give a wider image than the 10x42, and may have better edge sharpness. However, the 10x42 should be easier in eye placement and have a brighter image which can be appreciated only in dim light. I do not write from experience with the 10x42. However, a 10x42 is a little too big to use simultaneously with the 7x42.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

Across a small lake in daytime, I do not think you would see any difference. I've been told actually the 32 version has less astigmatism than the larger bin, which seems to be the FL's weakness. I use one and like it very much, and generally prefer the 32 alternative for ease of packing all day.
David

A top 10 x 32 purchased as a complimentary binocular is often a good idea. Particularly if you are going to use it like Arthur and Jacquot recommend.
Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back